Urgent Care :: TWO TURTLES: ONE WON'T EAT

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:31 pm   TWO TURTLES: ONE WON'T EAT

I was hoping somebody can help me: I have two turtles which I rescued from a bad situation. I am shopping for a 55 gallon tank right now, but they are in a 10 gallon as of now. They have a basking area/dock and the water is kept at 74-76 degrees constant. I used to have a "big one" and a "little one". They were voracious eaters, and about 8 months ago I began cutting back on their food to pellets every other day and veggies inbetween. However, the "little one" is now biggest, and is still a voracious eater. The other one, formerly the "big one," has not grown and has refused to eat anything for the past few months. The only time I got him to eat one pellet is when I dunked it in tuna water. That only worked once. I just tried mealworms, which he used to love, but he wouldn't touch it. I am going to try a bit of tuna soon, but for some reason he just refuses to eat, and I'm getting worried. I feed them outside the tank in separate containers, and still...one gobbles everything and the other, nothing...ever. Please advise.
Mike Reda
MikeReda

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:56 pm   One more thing...

...also, the pebbles I have in the tank are too large to be swallowed, so I doubt if the turtle who won't eat is impacted, although I haven't seen him poop at all in the past few months, I'm guessing not eating is the reason. He swims and basks and everything, but just won't eat. Thanks.
Mike Reda
MikeReda

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:35 pm   

You would be surprised at the size rocks some turts can swallow. I'd remove them just to be on the safe side.

Is the turt who isn't eating getting a fair chance to eat? If the other one is hogging the food, then that could be part of the problem. Have you tried feeding in a seperate container? If they go one at a time, maybe he might be more inclined to eat.

How much have they grown recently?
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:50 pm   

How big are the turtles (shell lengths not including the curves)? How much have they grown in the past 8 months?

Does the one turtle have any other symptoms? Do you use water that's the same temp in the feeding containers as in the tank (I'm assuming from what you wrote that each has a separate feeding container)?

For the one that won't eat, try something live like pieces of earthworm. Mealworms are not good to give on a regular basis, only very occasionally and not many at one time.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:54 pm   

How long have you had your turtles?

I know when I first got my first one she hadn't ate in weeks, at the least, and she still used the bathroom.

Also, mine refused to eat outside of her tank at first. I tried and tried and she wouldn't do it. So maybe you could try removing the "big" one and trying to feed the smaller one in her tank?

just some thoughts.

Oh, and also, I had to leave my pellets in the water long enough for them to get quite soggy for the little thing. I doubt this would be your turtles problem, considering she ate before but I thought I'd add that.
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:05 pm   UPDATE: Sizes and possible infection???

I took Sarah's suggestion and fed the little one inside the tank...he only ate one pellet, and I got him to bite twice at a piece of cuttlefish bone. The last time I measured my turts (about 6 months ago) they were 2.5" and 3". I just re-measured tonight, and the 2.5" has grown to almost 4", and the 3" has grown to 3.5". I think the 4" one (who eats very greedily) might have a fungal infection...he has a lot of white, whispy stuff which I thought was skin shedding (his head and legs have REALLY grown a lot) that actually breaks off and floats around the tank in big pieces. The 3.5" turt (who won't eat) doesn't have any sign of the white stuff, but maybe he is sick??? I was told that skin shedding is normal, and with the fast growth (and pyramiding even though I limit the food) of the big one, I would expect him to shed skin. I think the major problem is that I still have them in a 10 gallon tank. I plan to buy at least a 72 gallon tank this weekend. Sorry for the long post, but any thoughts on how I can tell if it's a fungal infection and what should I do if it is? Please advise.
Mike Reda
MikeReda

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:52 pm   

If you are going to feed the smaller one in the tank, you can always remove the greedy one. I would be concerned with the fast growth, as it sounds like you are. As for the fungus, I don't know much about it. If it is truly a fungus I know that a herp vet can prescribe stuff to help clear it up. If it is just shedding, he'll shed and then it will go away.

Since you are planning an upgrade, keep this in mind. They are still going to grow. The bigger you can go now, the more money you will save in the long run. And, the less smaller aquariums you will have sitting around later. Let us see some pics when you get your new set up!
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:23 am   

Is there a reason you think it's a fungal infection? What you describe sounds like shedding....?
fishandcandy

Return to Urgent Care