Urgent Care :: Cousin's turtle not moving hind legs

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:23 pm   Cousin's turtle not moving hind legs

My cousin's turtle AJ is 6cm and we just got him from the pet store. He is not moving his hind legs too much (like when he swims or climbs) and doesn't move his tail at all. They seem to be mildly paralyzed.
Is this a bad sign or is it normal for turtles this young to be a little weak?
My cousins are worried so please let me know guys! Thanks!
Last edited by RESlove on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RESlove

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:59 pm   Re: Cousin's turtle not moving hind legs

It's not normal for them not to use it... either they are injured or malformed. Are they sensitive to touch? Has he been eating, pooping and healthy otherwise?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:50 am   Re: Cousin's turtle not moving hind legs

His legs are sensitive to touch and he does move them a bit but he doesn't move his tail at all. He seems to be dragging his legs a lot. I agree with you -- he may be injured/malformed. But he's just a baby so he will probably learn to use his hands more right? We JUST got him so he hasn't eaten yet but he looks healthy otherwise, he swims around pretty fast and he's able to climb rocks and slopes. Sometimes he swims frantically but he stops in a few seconds.
RESlove

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:02 am   Re: Cousin's turtle not moving hind legs

He can adapt, but I would make sure he/she has full use of the cloaca.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:10 am   Re: Cousin's turtle not moving hind legs

From your picture it appears his leg it turned backwards. Is it always in this position. Can he lay both hind legs flat on the ground. I'm going more with the malformed. Personally if you just bought it from a pet store they should have never sold you that turtle. They should have known that isn't normal. Most baby turtles know how to swim and walk very quickly, just look at sea turtles as soon as they hatch they make a mad dash for the ocean to avoid predators. I would take the turtle back, if it is malformed it will have a difficult life.
All I Want in Life is to be Happy!!
Listen97

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:22 pm   Re: Cousin's turtle not moving hind legs

mine are like that too........... except, like NOT SENSITIVE! NOT EVEN A BIT! :( SOOOOOOOOOOOO SADDDDDDDDDD
-anonymous <3 forever xox
elishawang

Return to Urgent Care