Urgent Care :: Won't Swim/Basking all the time

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:46 pm   

Are the eyes swollen as well? Any other symptoms? (Open-mouth breathing, frequent yawning, bubbles from the nose or mouth, etc.?)

Is the water being kept clean? What is the temp of the basking area and water?

Are they eating OK? If so, what are you feeding them?

On the chance it could be a vitamin A deficiency (will cause the eyes to swell and close), you could gently apply some plain cod liver oil with a q-tip to the eyes 1-2 times a day for several days. (Buy some cod liver oil capsules and open them if you can't find a small bottle of it.) If it is a Vit A deficiency, it should help it.

What is your set-up like?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:24 am   

Yeah Franklin's eyes are swollen. I saw somewhere that if you put a mixture of salt and water it helps. I tried that yesterday and he opened his eyes finally, but I can tell they are swollen. After a few minutes of being back in the water he had them closed again and was swimming like that again. As far as I can tell there are no other symptoms. A couple weeks ago we cleaned out the tank because the water was getting dirty and the filter didn't want to work. I think he got an eye infection from it. I only feed them dried shrimp because thats the only thing they will eat. I made the water warmer yesterday because I heard that also helps a sick turtle. Its usually between 75 - 80.
~Janni~
jave

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:51 pm   

This is a very unbalanced diet. Read the info on the forums for other things to give. I'd try the cod liver oil on the eyes (high vit A) as described above. If they are deficient in Vit A (with only shrimp to eat that's likely), it will help. Keeping the water cleaner is important as well (since both have swollen/closed eyes, I think an eye infection is less likely than a vitamin deficiency due to an unbalanced diet).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:23 pm   

Ok I will try the cod liver oil. Where can I get this? I heard that they are pretty much carnivores when they are younger and as they get older they become more vegetarians. But I will check out the forums. Thanks for the help!
Can they die from what is happening? Also they have become very lazy, sleeping alot. They used to go crazy when they saw us but now they don't even respond to the tapping on the glass. Is this from the Vit A deficiency?
~Janni~
jave

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:36 pm   

When the eyes become swollen and closed, the turtle will stop eating and grow weaker. Without food, I think you know what is likely to happen...

I've seen little bottles of cod liver oil in health food stores. If you can't find any, you probably can find liquid capsules in the vitamin section of supermarkets. Prick one with a pin and put some on a q-tip. There also eye drops you can buy in pet stores (one is by Zoo-med, I think) to use if you do think the eyes are infected.

Really try to get them eating some other things. If they can't see what they're eating, try to hold it in front of their noses so they can smell it. Try smelly foods (bits of tuna and sardines packed in water, for example). Also try pellets like Reptomin Baby (for smaller turts) or break up regular Reptomin. You could dip the pellets in the water from the tuna or sardines and see if they'll take that.

They are more carnivorous when young, but not totally. And plant matter becomes more important as they age. But, it's good to introduce it early, as it is important to that balanced diet.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:01 pm   

Thank you for all your help. I will take your advice.
~Janni~
jave

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:12 pm   

No problem. If, in spite of your efforts you don't see any improvment in a few days (or if other symptoms appear), though, you really should take them to a reptile vet.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:46 pm   

My baby RES comes up all the time for air, but he never basks. He has his head out of the water like 90% of the time, but he never gets out of the water. :?
tropicalcwgrl

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:15 am   

there needs to be some incentive for him to go up there... if the water is around 78 degrees, the basking area should be around 90 and not much higher. the basking area should be stable and easy to access and give him some privacy... alot of it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:09 am   

how can i make it give him privacy?
tropicalcwgrl

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:23 pm   

you can cover the sides of the tank, make sure that people and yourself are not always around the tank. basically, do not disturb the area often.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:27 pm   

Hope_27,,

I am going through the not eating much and basking all the time also. I was told by the vet to change her food. she was eating hatchling food, cause she is only about 3months old. She won't eat much of it but she loves the mealie worms and sliced turkey.I just gave my bigger turts their night crawlers and Cruch the other baby was fighting the 4" turt for the bigger worm! :P Cruch is about 1 1/2 in.
Try changing her food. also was told try bread and cook chicken and beef.
tutlehaven

Previous

Return to Urgent Care