Urgent Care :: Tank has little white bugs that jump and float Help!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:34 pm   Tank has little white bugs that jump and float Help!

I have read all the post on here on little white bugs or worms but I dont know if that is what I have. They are very very tiny and they jump if you touch them. It looks like they have antennas. Also when i go to try and get them they jump in the water and they can float and like just jump on top of the water. I looked up drain flies but I couldn't find any pictures of baby ones. Any body have any idea what these things are? I am going
to walmart tomarrow to get a python siphon thing so i can do a toatle break down and clean the filters and everythin. I am just worried about these bugs. I dont want kermie getting something or any of us in the house. They seem to hang around right above the water line and in the corners. I know they are not like maggotts and they do not look like a worm to me. Like I said they look to me to have antennas and then you can see the legs sticking out of the sides. cant tell how many though.
Hopefully someone can help me with this and tell me what the heck they are. I am not thrilled at all with bugs being in my house. I cant stand to have a fly in my house let alone a whole big clan of white jumping bugs!
Kermie is just luck that I have become very attached to him. One more thing too. the ph n the tank should be right in the middle, Right?
well thank you ahead of time for helping.
michele,
mother of matthew, howie doo our dog and kermie our baby res.
3walcks

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:29 pm   

I have occasionally noticed a few tiny bugs jumping on the surface of one of my tanks, the one that gets hit by some sun in the afternoon. I'm assuming these are the result of warmth, debris in the tank and the aquatic plants that are occasionally put in the tank. They haven't bothered my turtles and I've just left them and they wen't away. If you haven't done a cleaning in a while, though, doing one would be good.

What do you mean by ph "in the middle?" A ph of around 7 is fine. I'd be more concerned with the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:45 pm   

I took the water to have it tested today after putting in some easy balance with nitroban in the water. Everything checked out great. that stuff does a great job. I also turned and marisa down the temp a pinch so i guess we will see if kermie does. well thankyou for letting me know about tese bugs marisa I am glad that I found someone else who has the hoppy kind.
michele,
mother of matthew, howie doo our dog and kermie our baby res.
3walcks

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:40 pm   

I had these FOREVER;

1. Empty the tank completely
2. Use a bleach % solution w/ water (see other posts for how much but use very little/
3. Get a bigger tank and fill it with more water
4. Turn down the temperature in the tank
5. Get a canister filter
6.CLEAN THE TANK AGAIN
7. Throw out your current food and buy a new one. Also, don't keep excess food anywhere in the room with the bugs.
8. Use a net and remove and floating bugs and kill any flying ones manually each day.
9. Feed during the daytime (bc the bugs mate and reproduce at night) and feed a little less!
10. CLEAN THE TANK AGAIN
11. pray.

I did all of these, and it finally worked. Hopefully. good luck
Turtle's name is "turtle"
sublime1008

Return to Urgent Care