Urgent Care :: Shell rot = vet

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:36 pm   Shell rot = vet

I was watchin my turtle like I do everynight before i go to bed and I noticed on the back of his shell he had a very small spot that was white...I took him out and rubbed it and HE GOT MAD MAD MAD!! so I pilled the part of this shell off and under it was white and kinda bloody lookin so sometime this week its time for a vet visit!!! DO you guys kno about how much a vet visit is So Ill have some ideal.........THANKS!
:lol:
Skdbrd

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:09 pm   

You peeled off part of his shell??????
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:10 pm   

You pulled off part of the shell? It sounds as if it was just a scute that he was shedding and by pulling it off you exposed the area under it. In doing so, you've opened it up for a possible infection and a vet visit now needed. Depends on the vet on how much they cost .. mostly I think it depends on the extent of the visit and the work they have to do.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:12 pm   

If you did peel that shell off you had best be watching that water because the moment it starts to look dirty you had best change it because if you did peel off part of his shell you've exposed him to a lot of nasty stuff that is now very easy for him to get, and if I were you I'd call the vet as soon as possible and explain what you did in order to get him in as soon as possible because this could seriously harm your turtle.
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:42 pm   

NO NO NO misunderstanding......I didnt really pill it off like it says....While I was rubbing it the corner came off.........but I have him out of the tank and in a dry tank with the light on him, and I cleaned his shell with benadine( or however u spell it ) My falt about sayin I pilled it off i dont think Im that dumb :shock: :shock: :shock:
Skdbrd

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:44 pm   

the rest of his shell is Green and looks very good Im jus worryin about the corner of the one part!!! :shock: :shock:
Skdbrd

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:51 pm   

Is there any way you can post a picture of the area you are talking about so we can see it?
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:32 pm   

I wouldn't keep him totally out of the water, he needs water to rid himself of waste and to eat. And if you do put him in the dry tank, keep a shaded spot too, but don't keep him in the dry tank too long, like I said, he needs water.
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:46 pm   

Exactly how much of the shell came off? Does the area smell (really smell)? (A sign of shell rot.) Is any bone exposed (it would be white)?

A pic of the area and shell dry would be helpful.

When you use betadine, dilute it--one part betadine to 10 parts water (the color of weak tea). You can dry tank him, but he needs to be hydrated at least 2 times a day for about 30 minutes each time (one of the times can be a feeding time).

If you think it's shell rot, a herp vet visit would be good (look at the link for finding one and call about fees)---if it is shell rot, the vet can determine if it's bacterial or fungal in nature and prescribe the appropriate medication for him.

Still a pic would be useful...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:01 pm   

Its not really a Big spot and its jus in the corner of the shell.....Ill try to get a picture of the shell........I got this turtle from petland WHICH I HATE but I felt sorry for him and had to save him......they had him in a little plastic bowl and he had no room to move around so now I gotta play doctor!!!
Skdbrd

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:13 pm   

http://photobucket.com/albums/e93/Jrob898/Shell/?action=view&current=f0677de6.jpg

There is the picture of the spot on his shell, the shiny look on the shell is from where Ive been puttin Iodine on the spot like the Vet said..... he said it was nothing to worry about but he was glad I caught it before it got bad!
Skdbrd

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:32 pm   

Good you took him to be seen. Keeping the area clean and letting him bask under proper lighting will help a lot.

It was good of you to help this turtle. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:08 pm   

Jus letting you guys kno what I took him back to the vet 4 days ago and the shell rot is ALL GONE except for a very very small spot......!!!!
Skdbrd

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:30 pm   

Very good news! :)
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care