Urgent Care :: Help me please, my brother's turtle is sick!!!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:14 am   Help me please, my brother's turtle is sick!!!

Hi all ^ - ^

My brother owns 2 res for several months now. More of those several months they've been living in a less than suitable environment (such as a bare tub with water and rocks) and now we have a basking dock and both UVB and UVA. We've been using only UVB for a while, until 2 days ago, and we're planning to put back the UVB (because I've realized that UVA won't help the vitamin A deficiency the poor guys are going through), but anyways, like I said, the UVA only has been up for two days. The more outgoing one, named Redi, was on the dock already. The other one, Shelly, is shy, so only today she started basking. She's fine at the moment. (Oh, btw, none of the turtles are really eating... Their tank is always dirty since my brother puts more than he should [he learned his lesson now; the dirtiness caused the illness in the first place] I'm going to try to make them eat with the tips I've read in the other posts) Redi started to stay on the dock for a long while today (the entire time we had the light on) and his eyes were always closed. We poked him to make sure he was alive, but all he did was slowly jerk back into his shell. When I finally dipped him into the water to wake him up (I thought he was just relishing the heat we finally got, so I let him stay there) he started swimming lopsided. We thought he had RI, but our dad put him in a salt water bath for a while, and now he seems to be all right. But when I put him in the water again (to make sure he was having RI, because I read that usually they tip downward at the head instead at the side, but now that I think about it, it doesn't matter... If he's tipping, he's tipping) he started floating. His limbs were completly withdrawn into his shell and he was just bobbing in the water, head upwards. Sometimes he would swim, but then stay in the position throughout the time. Can someone tell me if he has RI or not? It seems so, but how severe is it? Oh yeah, and he's got a white spot on his shell, probably lacking the vitamin A until now >.< Poor guys.... I can't check it if it's spongy or anything now at the moment (it's too late and I got school tomorrow) but I'll update this post later.

Thx for the help in advance. Please help me, I don't want my brother's turtles to die again. (The first two died from suffocation under a rock. T_T We learned from that mistake.)
Ngelicdark

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:35 am   

It's possible it's RI. Lethargy, loss of appetite could be from water thats too cold. Lopsided swimming is considered a serious RI symptom. Since there appears to be several things that might be afflicting these turtles, you should take them to a vet for examination and possible treatment.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:55 pm   

UVB is for Vit D, not Vit A. If you want them to safely get more vit. A in the diet, give them foods with beta carotene (carrots, squash, dandelions, etc.).

What are the temps of the water and basking area? (Check with a thermometer.)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:23 pm   

Lol, thanks for that. It helps ^ - ^

Right now, I just came home. This morning Redi seemed like his sick self, but now, he seems all right. He's no longer swimming lopsided, and for eating, I'm just going to have to see. The white spot on his shell is also fading for some weird reason... Maybe he was just having a lethargic spell?

Btw, the water temperature is about 75 F. The dock is slightly hotter than that (I have to check.) And btw, would a regular fluorescent light serve for UVB? Because that's what I'm thinking and now I'm confused.....
Ngelicdark

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:02 pm   

Unless the package says that the light emits UVB then it's not a UVB light. Regualr florescent isn't the same as a UVB. You should purchase a UVB light that emits between 7-10% UVB rays. Along with the UVB light there should be a heat light (a regular household bulb will work) over the basking area. Basking temp should be 88-90.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:29 pm   

Thanks. I'm going to have to make sure I get one. Oh, and the basking dock is about 100 F... yikes. I think I'm going to have to adjust this...

Oh, and btw, thanks for all your help. ^ - ^ Means a lot to me.
Ngelicdark

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:36 pm   

The water is a little cool for the condition you described him to be in. If he's showing symptoms on and off, he may be in the initial stages of an RI. I'd keep the water a bit warmer for a while--about 80-81F. But lower the basking area temp to around 90-91F. The added warmth will boost his immune system and help him fight the infection, if there is one.

A pic of the shell dry would help figuring out what the shell problem is...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care