Urgent Care :: PARALYZED TURTLE???

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:46 am   PARALYZED TURTLE???

FLoyd, my male (?) RES (of about a year old) isn't using his hind legs. My husband found him floating in his tank upside down last night. I initially thought he had an RI (because of floating upside down and being listless afterward), but could he have suffered an injury instead? His hind leg joints are pale and very swollen and when you touch his hind legs, they don't move. He paddles around fine with his front ones. Oh, and last night he kept stretching his neck out forward. He's not doing that this morning, though. But he doesn't seem to want to eat. We moved him to a separate, small tank for now, heated up his water and provided him with a heat lamp and some flat stones to bask (but I'm afraid he won't be able to climb up onto them (though his water level is shallow -- enough to swim around and breathe, but not too deep.)
I think I need a herp vet, but wanted to check here to see if anyone had heard of this before first.
Help!

His original tank is 50 gallon with I don't know exact water level, but enough that they swim comfortably and come up for air and food comfortably, with basking area, pebbled floor and heat lamp, and female RES, Pink.
PinkandFloyd

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:51 am   

steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:11 pm   

Thanks. I have an appointment for 2:30. Do you have any idea what it is? The receptionist at the herp vet said she couldnt' tell by symptoms over the phone.
He'll now move his hing legs if I touch the swollen joint areas (but I hope not because it's painful???)
PinkandFloyd

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:21 pm   

I have no idea, but its possible there has been an injury or serious infection, especially if these symptoms came suddenly.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:30 pm   

What did the vet say is wrong with your turtle? Are just the joints swollen or is the whole legs swollen?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care