Urgent Care :: Concerned..

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:03 pm   Concerned..

Hi everyone. I've had my RES for basically 9 days now. He's 6" and very active. I don't think he's really sick but I'm starting to get worried now. When I got him, I noticed that his shell had marks on it but I didn't really think anything of them. I just figured he'd been through a lot...*shrugs, I was inexperienced..and dumb!* Let me describe his shell to u, he has small white spots on them, haven't really noticed them spreading but what's beginning to worry me now is that along the sides of his carapace, there are several areas where there are little pitts, not deep but they're like little clusters. I'm worried that he might have shell rot. Those pitts are free of spots, have no smell and they're not soft. He also has two small pitts on his plastron. His shell is pretty hard but I'm still worried. *He's actually shedding right now* I'm planning on taking him to the vet soon but in the meantime, is there anything I can do as a precaution? Oh, I'm looking for the betadine and other cream thingy..(Nolvasan--chlorhexidine and silver sulfadine cream).

His tank conditions---
the water is usually between 74 to 80 degrees.....the basking area is around 92. I had a heater but realized that the water temp. remained pretty constant even without it so I took it out(lol, I actually slept near his tank one night and made periodic checks of the temp to be sure.). My filter was from my fish tank but that sucked so I threw it out and I'm waiting for a new one(supposed to arrive by friday), in the meantime I change his water daily.

~Misty~
mistyriouswayz

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:12 pm   

can you provide some pics? we can more accuratly help with pictures.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:25 pm   

A pic would definitely help. I'd like to especially see the pitting.

What conditions had the turtle been living in before you got him?

A temp fluctuation of 74 - 80F is rather wide, especially without a heater...Are you sure the thermometer you're using is accurate?

Since you're planning on taking him to a vet soon, you should be able to purchase the nolvasan and silver sulfadine cream from him IF your turtle needs it. They (especially the latter) need to be prescribed, although I've seen the Nolvasan available on-line. But from what you say, it may not be necessary. Let a herp vet decide.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:01 pm   

I'll take the pics tomorrow when it's brighter..my webcam won't show everything now.

I'm not sure of the conditions he lived in before. I adopted him from a reptile shelter, one which is supposed to be pretty good..*sigh..* When I went to see the guy about him, he brought Charlie and maybe 5 other turts upstairs in a box and let me pick one out. Their shells were pretty cold so I'm thinking that maybe they were out of water for a while...?? At that time, I had no clue so I didn't really think much of it. I just depended on the fact that this guy knew what he was doing.

The water temp fluctuates like that because when I change his water, I make sure it's warm....the reason I added 74 degrees is that one night my mom left the windows open and when I went to check on him, the thermometer showed 74. It's usually between 76 and 78 degrees.....80 when I just change it and lowers to the 76-78 degree range. lol I was kinda worried about the thermometer but I checked with another one and it showed the same temp. I'm calling the vet in my neighborhood to see if there's a herp vet there, if not, I saw someone recommended another one who lives about 20 minutes away.

He seems fine buuuut I won't be able to relax until I know for sure, u know? Ooooooh...going of on a tangent here but check out my post in the food and nutrition section. lol Oh, thanks for replying!!

~Misty~
mistyriouswayz

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:05 pm   

webcam? wow, i thought everyone on here used a digital camera :P
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:57 pm   

lol Yeah, I could go that way too. If I could remember where I put it..... :?

~Misty~
mistyriouswayz

Return to Urgent Care