Urgent Care :: Is this turtle sick?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:19 pm   Is this turtle sick?

I just got this baby Red Ear Slider 2 days ago. As far as I can tell he/she hasn't eaten anything and spends 95% percent of the time sleeping. When I pick him up his eyes stay shut even though his legs and arms are thrashing around. He does open his eyes occasionally. I've read turtles can go for weeks without food and I don't know if his eyes look swollen or not. I made a short video clip (which I pasted below) with video of his eyes closed and open. I live in FL, and he has a basking bulb, the hottest point on his log is around 95-100 degrees F, water around 76 degrees. He also has a UVB florescent and one of those white turtle shaped blocks to treat the water. Does this turtle look sick in this video or is this normal?

I appreciate any help, Thanks

http://www.kitervision.com/files/sick_.wmv
Last edited by gordon on Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gordon

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:43 pm   

According to your description, it seems like it has a lack of Vitamin A.
new turtle-lover

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:46 pm   

My computer won't let me play the video so I can't say much about the eyes.

The basking area is a bit too hot. It should be 85-90 at most. If he's just a baby, the water can be 78-80 but no higher. I would bet if you put the basking temp down a bit he'll get up there soon.

As far as eating, give him a bit of time to get used to his new home before worrying too much about that.

I'm sure someone who can see the clip will pop in and give you more insight.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:58 am   

He looks very weak (staggered movement), you should get him to eat ASAP. Healthy, adult turtles can go for awhile without eating and newly hatched turtles can go for a few days. But from the looks of everything, you need get some food in him (do a search for smelly food, including shrimp and tuna, maybe guppies and worms).

How long have you had him?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:02 am   

Thanks

I've had him about 3 days. The turtles in the pet store seemed much more active and robust. I didn't pick one out I just said "I'll have one of those" so I may have got a sick one. I'll try the smelly foods. Did the eyes seem ok?
gordon

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:28 am   

Now that I can see the video, the eyes look ok when they're open, but all the rubbing suggests they're really bothering him. The first part of the clip, with his eyes closed looked pretty grim but when he started moving around it seemed like there was hope. Get him to a vet asap and try not to disturb/touch him too much. Leave some food floating in the water til you get him to the vet. Good luck and keep us posted.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:34 am   

I agree with Steve, he seems rather lethargic. I'd do my best to get him to eat some food.. and find a vet ASAP. His eyes look fine to me, it seems as if he was only sticking his head in the water to drink and get his eyes wet. What is your setup like tank, filter, depth of water etc. Jenaero is right in that the basking temp must come down some, I'd see if I could get the water temp up a bit though, maybe that will help induce him to eat. Try feeding him some boiled white chicken by hand or place his food on the basking area.

Does he ever go completely in the water and swim around at all or does he just hang out on the basking area?
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:23 pm   

If he's basking a lot under that amount of heat, the skin around his eyes could be drying out from lack of humidity, cause them to stick shut and him to rub at them.

Try also earthworms, bloodworms or a bit of tuna packed in water to get him eating...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care