Urgent Care :: HELP

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:57 pm   HELP

I cleaned my turt home using gloves because I have eczema. Some of the tank water went in the glove. 4 hours before I changed the water, I had placed a sulfa treatment (TetraFauna Repto Conditioner). Should I be worried about Salmonella? My RES is 2" long. Please help! I washed my hands with Betadine, antiseptic wash, and of course antibacterial soap ---but I do have a small open cut on my finger....
turtleyoshi

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:21 am   

If your turtle is healthy and the tank/water is clean, then I wouldn't be too concerned. Most people who got salmonella from RES put them in their mouths, or did not practice good hygiene.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:50 am   

Sometimes when I feed my res they splash so hard that I end up getting turtle water in my eye or my mouth. Gross, but no harm done.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:14 pm   

I wouldn't worry. I've had to put my hands in the tank with cuts/scratches on them in the past and never had a problem. I did wash my hands well afterward, but not nearly as well as you did. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:12 pm   

That reminds me of the time I was priming my filter and got a big mouthfull of turtle water--now thats gross. I was swirling jack daniels in my mouth for an hour afterwards...
staman

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:35 pm   

Ugh! How do you manage to do that???
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:00 pm   

I have an eheim. For all the money i payed for it it dosent have a self priming mechanism. It came with a bunch of valves that facilitate the priming mechanism by creating a vacuum. It took me the whole day to figure it out cuz there were no instructions. Anway, i wanted to start her up so the old fashioned way is to just suck on the outake pipe until the canister fills up with water. It squirted up the last 2 feet of pipe so fast i didnt have time to pull the pipe out of my mouth...
staman

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:56 am   

Ive also worried about salmonella but after having to put my hand in the tank with cuts and scratches and the whole nine yards, Ive become less paranoid. I wear gloves too but theres no way to avoid coming in contact with the water one way or another, no matter how precautious you are. My husband took a few gulps of turtle water himself because of a problem with the siphon the first time we used it. I had warned him but he wouldnt listen. Nothing happened to him though...:)
"See the turtle of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind."
--The Dark Tower
butterfly

Return to Urgent Care