Urgent Care :: Bleeding Prolapse - what to do?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:48 pm   Bleeding Prolapse - what to do?

My RES has a bleeding prolapse and I don't know what to do. Will it go back in on its own or do I have to take him/her to a vet?

aralls

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:58 pm   

I've done a quick search for you through the forum and googled this, but can't find anything on it. My first reaction is yes, get him to a qulified herp vet, but you may want to wait for Marissa or Jen to varify that. They are great at knowing exactly what to do in instances like this. I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:04 pm   

Thanks for the response. I called a vet, but he doesn't deal with "exotics." He gave me the name of a guy who does, but said that he probably wouldn't take night calls, so I may have to wait until tomorrow to take him/her somewhere.

I'm a turtle noob, by the way. I just took them in from my ex-gf after she got tired of them. Not even sure what "herp vet" is...
aralls

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:09 pm   

Do me a favor and read this older post just to rule out if it could be this: http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1590

Also here's what the main site says about prolapse:
Prolapse
The appearance of a turtle's intestinal, usually colon and/or reproductive organs, through the cloaca (the opening on the underside of the tail) is a prolapse. Ingested gravel or some other impaction may cause this situation but may not necessarily be a factor. If the male merely exposes his reproductive organ, then it's referred as "fanning" and is not a prolapse. In any case, the organs return to their normal position and there should be no cause of concern. If the organs cannot retract, then that turtle should be isolated immediately. Soaking a turtle in clean, warm water might help correct the situation. However, if it does not or if the organ(s) has been bitten, injured or scratched by another turtle, then a vet visit is immediately required. The area must kept clean and wet until proper medical attention is given.

And one more thing, a herp vet is just a vet that does specialize in reptiles/turtles. The stickies at the top of this section will help you be able to locate one. Here's the link in the US: http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:14 pm   

Could this possibly be what is known as "fanning" .. a male turtle showing his penis? Has it gone back in and is there actually blood coming from it or is it just red in color?

If it's still out, you'll want to make sure you keep the water extremely clean until you get to a vet.

How old is this turtle and do you know it's sex?
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:28 pm   

I don't think res are under exotics.
Here are other sites that explain about prolapse. And another about fanning

Prolapse
Fanning

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:34 pm   

The penis is dark, I am not sure what the color the intestines are, but this kind of prolapse should be considered serious.

Is there another turtle in there? I would take any others out of there, and keep the area moist until you can take him to a vet. If it is bleeding/leaking, I would take him out of there but keep the area moist. If it is a prolapse, I would make sure he's isolated and remove any abrasive objects in the tank.

Any idea how this happened?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:57 am   

okay it looks like more of a fan, but it is really red!
tini

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:04 am   

That doesn't look like fanning to me. Is there another turtle in with him? Sometimes when they fan, the other turts will bite at the penis and cause injury. Even if it goes back in, get him checked by a vet. If it's a prolapse it won't go back in. If it's his penis, it should. Either way, if it's bleeding he's got to get to a good vet. Good luck!
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:57 am   

Hey like I know what a turtle penis looks like.. :oops:
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:47 pm   

Well, I took him/her to the vet this morning. Looks like Little Turtle will be having turtle surgery today.

There was another turtle with him/her: Big Turtle. After talking with the vet, I think I've been a negligent owner and have a lot of upgrades I need to make, but I don't think I have the time or resources to actually provide a good home for them. But I can't just give them back to my ex though. She didn't know how to take care of them and probably wouldn't want them back. Ahhh, the joy of gifted turtles...
aralls

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:02 pm   

I hope it works out and all captive turts deserve a good home. Seems like they found the right one.

Consider stock tanks for their setup, there are ways to cut expenses significantly.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:15 pm   

There are lots of ideas here through the forum on set-ups and requirements. Browse through the photo gallery and be sure to read through the main site: www.redearslider.com

If we can help anymore let us know. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:40 pm   

I don't know, vet would be best!
tini

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:01 pm   

Keep us posted on his surgery and progress. Did the vet say he had been bitten?

Where are you located?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Next

Return to Urgent Care