Urgent Care :: open mouth breathing?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:18 pm   open mouth breathing?

what exactly is open mouth breathing. i keep seeing it happns when they are sick. my turtle might do that, im not sure though. when i pick him up he lifts his head and opens his mouth. he just keeps doing it over and over. im assuming thats what open mouth breathing is. is there anything i can do for him or do i have to take him to a vet?
sweetnspoiled55

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:39 pm   

Sometimes they open their mouth when you pick them up to hiss or to try and bite you.. which is totally different than open mouth breathing. I believe, but I could be wrong since I've never had a sick turtle *knocking on wood* that it's more like a repeated yawn and gasping for air sort of thing. Do you see him doing it while he's basking or in the water? Does he have any other symptoms of RI? like bubbles coming from his nose.. swollen eyes etc?? If he does, then you should get him to a vet ASAP.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:58 pm   

Think of slow panting without the noise and the mouth open.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:25 pm   

I know when I pick one of my res up that she opens her mouth, tucks her head in and hisses. It's just because she wants me to put her down.

Don't worry unless you see him breathing with his mouth open a lot while basking or while surfacing for air.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to Urgent Care