Urgent Care :: Help!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:16 pm   Help!

My boyfriend bought me 2 baby RES from the mall. They were in a pretty nasty tank with about 100 other TINY (all under 2") RES turtles. I feel bad for those turtles and I'm happy for mine (who we named Skyler and Jayme), because now they have a healthy habitat with plenty of food and love (from me, my parents, my siblings and my boyfriend).

Skyler is thriving. Happy, enjoying basking and eating and swimming in the filters pressure. But Jayme won't get out of the water and it's shell is taking the damage. It won't eat either. I took it out of the water and put it in the "death bowl" just to get dry and to eat. It's shell is all soft and i can bend the edges a bit and I'm really worried. It's only been a few days in the current tank, but I don't think less then one week in the water would cause that much damage.

Help me out, please.

2 RES - Skyler and Jayme - under 2"
1 Mutt (terrier) Dog - Lady - 10 years old
1 Female Hamster - NJ
About a dozen or so fish - no names (they are my moms)
1 Betta - Mr Fish #5
CoriLeigh

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:40 pm   

Maybe you should seperate them for the time being. You can but a cheap tub at wal-mart that will be better than the death bowl. I am sure one of the elders will be around soon to help decipher the problem. I know calcium will help, but I am pretty sure that the others who will know better will ask you

what size tank, filter, lights/lamps, how big of a tank, temperatures etc.
Last edited by tini on Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tini

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:48 pm   

First, let me say welcome to turtle talk :)

Also, just an FYI sort of thing... hatchlings have a more flexible shell than an older turtle. so if it has some "give" that's normal. Are there any other symptoms? Any smell? Could you possibly post some pictures so that someone can check them out to see if there's a problem?

Also, make sure you offer your turtles cuttlebone for calcium, along with having the proper UVB lighting.
What is your setup like... how deep is their water and the temps? Sorry for all the questions, but sometimes its the only way to figure out the problem.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:53 pm   

tini wrote:what size tank, filter, lights/lamps, how big of a tank, temperatures etc.

Ten gallon tank, small filter (ReptoFilter), 50w basking light, UVA/UVB reptile light, 5"x11.25" turtle dock, i dont know the temps right now (i cant fnd my therm) but Skyler loves it. The water is about 3" deep and they aren't having any problems getting in or out of water on to the dock.

I took Jayme out and had it run around with me for a little bit. It is a lot shyer then Skyler. Skyler will run and swim and play, but Jayme just kinda sits. It will just stick itself in the tiny space between the dock and the back of the tank and stay there.

It may just not be used to the new place yet.
I just don't know.

Cori Leigh
2 RES - Skyler and Jayme - under 2"
1 Mutt (terrier) Dog - Lady - 10 years old
1 Female Hamster - NJ
About a dozen or so fish - no names (they are my moms)
1 Betta - Mr Fish #5
CoriLeigh

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 pm   

Jayme might just be scared and nervous yet, my turtle Neptune just got more comfortable a about a week ago. *nods*
tini

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:38 pm   

Fill up the tank more. The more water the better. If it's a 10 gallon fill it up with 9 gallons. The more water the easier off they are, plus you won't overheat the water that way either. (which is a bad thing) Also a 10 gallon tank may be causing the RES to be trying out for the alpha male of the tank. The rule usually is 10 gallons per inch of shell, so try getting a bigger tank and that might help out with the other one getting out more.

Also, take the turtles outside for some sunlight. That way if they aren't basking, they will dry off outside no matter what and get their daily dose of natural sunlight. Remember not to keep them outside too long as a turtle can only really be out for an hour. Provide a shady area for them to run into and some water too to swim in.

I've had my turtle for a month here in a few days and he's still kinda shy. But it takes time. Plus hiding under things relieves stress so you may want to go out after you fill up the tank more and get some plants for them to hide in that they can even eat and some other fun things like caves and stuff they can hide in.

Also give the turlte time to eat, it takes a while, but try giving it some lettuce and stuff. It just takes a little bit. Also if you get cuttlebone, take the hard backing off, the turtles can't really eat that.
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:30 pm   

Coming from the environment you described, it wouldn't be surprising if the turtle was ill/malnourished. Can you be more specific about the shell--exactly how soft is is and what is bending--the area near the tail or the sides? If you gentle press on it, how much does the shell give? Better yet, can you post a pic of the turtle?

What is the behavior of the turtle like? Actively swimming? Is the turtle eating? Are the eyes clear?

If it's warm where you are, getting the turtles out in direct sunlight would be good as a supplement to their UVB light (what brand did you get?). What are they being fed? If the one's shell is as soft as you imply, it would be good to get a powdered calcium supplement (one without phosphorus) moisten their pellets coat them with the supplement and let them dry, then give them to your turtles.

A picture of the shell if you can, please...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care