Urgent Care :: Is he sick?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:52 pm   Is he sick?

Mikey has been acting a little off for the past two days. Usually when I come into the room he's sitting on the edge of his dock, half in the water half out. But lately he's been under that dock constantly. I only saw him out from under it once.

So this morning I fished him out from under the dock and looked him over. He looks fine, nothing out of the nose, eyes are fine no open mouth breathing. Nothing. So I set him down on the basking dock to see if I could hear any breathing problems. Nothing. I seriously cannot find a darn thing wrong with him.

His water temp is normal. He's doing fine with that, basking light has never been moved and it is warmer then the water up there on his dock. I just know that it's not like him to act like this.

Any suggestions? Cause I just want him to be himself. Which when I'm gone to class I have no idea who walks into my room so I'm thinking maybe someone has been coming in here and pestering him and that's why he is constantly under that dock. I don't know. But he won't even play in his cave now, he just stays under that dock.
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:26 pm   

He's not swimming tilted, not breathing with his mouth open when/if he's out of the water? Is he eating? I'd keep an eye out just in case any symptoms appear.

The room he's in--is the tank where he always sees whoever walks in? If so, is it possible to put it in an area that's more private? You could even put a barrier around part of the tank. It's possible something is scaring him, but how, as you said, would you know that...Nothing has been changed in his tank at all?

Since his behavior only started two days ago, it may be nothing if he's showing no other unusual behavior. You did say the water and basking area temps were ok (what are they?) I'd watch him for now.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:47 pm   

Nope he's not swimming titled and he's not breathing with his mouth open. He is eating, I found his waste.

He can only see us if we get about half way into my room. I can stand in the door way and if i get on my tiptoes I can see him but he can't really see me. So anyone in the hallway walking by shouldn't freak him out as he is in a plastic packer that has blue sides so he can't see out of those and he's raised up on a wooden chest so he's closer to our level a little bit.

I did give him some boiled chickn about four days ago with the bones removed etc etc and just gave him tiny pieces. Maybe he didn't like that? Cause I didn't really notice that he ate any of it.

The water temp is 73 and his basking area is 84. And it might be too that he's having a fit over not getting to go outside lately as I haven't had the time to take him outside to go play in the grass and bask outside for a bit.

But yeah I'm gonna watch him. He has no rocks in the tank so I know he didn't eat a rock. (at least the rock that is in his tank is about 4 times bigger compared to him so he can't eat that)

But the cat doesn't bother him at all..in fact I don't even think she knows he is here really. Plus I tried to introduce him to her and she just walked away. And if the cat does go into my room she just sits on my bed and he can't see her from my bed either. And I have him away from the window so nothing outside should be really bugging him. He's just got me befuddled.
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:55 pm   

Well part of the problem could be that the water temp is too low for a hatchling. It should be around 78. If their water gets too cool, the tend not to eat. It slows down their metabolism. So you may want to up the water temperature and the basking temperature.

You may want to read the sticky under water and basking temperatures again if you've not read it already. All the info regarding this is in there.. :)

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15

Keep us posted.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:39 pm   

Mikey is doing better. I just think he needed to get his butt out of the tank and exercise. He doesn't like to sit very much on the side of the dock anymore but I've caught him a few times sitting there and also I've caught him swimming around. So I think he's doing better.
daredevilgirl013

Return to Urgent Care