Urgent Care :: New Turtle Owner...

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:57 pm   New Turtle Owner...

I just got a new turtle on Sunday, 1 inch long that came in a container about 4 by 6 inches and four inches high. Now, I understand I need a bigger container, but I've seen a two inch live in one of these at a relatives house, and I'm assuming, with daily water changes, I can do the same. He's had it for over a year, and it looks fine.
Anyway, I notice that he'll try to climb the walls out of his tank. He is also refusing food, and I'm trying real hard at various ways to get him to ear. I've placed him in a container with pellets and other strong smelling foods, but all he does it try to climb the walls. Recently I've tried putting a small plastic cup about two by two inches (with bananas) into his container, hoping he'd get attracted at eat it. However, all he did was walk in the container and try to climb those walls. As I slowly maneuvered the cup so that he'd walk out, he started to breathe heavily (so I assume). His neck inflated and deflated greatly, which was pretty much the last straw. He's really worrying me. We have held him a few times, letting him walk on our hands so that I could clean the container, and he was breathing normally.
Also, how close is too close to a heating lamp? My sister(of eight years) wants it pretty close, and I'm worrying she'll over heat him.
I’m sorry this is so long, but basically I’m asking for food advice and stress advice about my turtle. I’m also thinking of putting a large rock in his container for him to climb on and so that the water level is higher then it is now. I’m seriously planning on an actual tank later if my mother actually accepts that we’re keeping this pet. :wink:
Buki

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:46 am   

OMI! PLEASE read the sticki's posted and the information on main page (www.redearslider.com)
You need a tank, basking spot, water heater and a 20gallon tank ASAP!
Cooter: 6.75 inches
Beefcake: 5 inches
TurtleBot

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:18 am   

Where to even begin to reply. Yes, your turtle needs a much larger living space. Just because you've seen another turtle survive living in a small container for a year does not mean its healthy or in the tutles best interest. Surviving doesn't mean thriving. For instance. Take your height.. then make a room that's length is 2x's that.. and the width is 1.5x's your height.. and the height 1.5x's your height. I wonder how long you'd be happy or comfortable living in that room. It's no different than a turtle. The myth.. and it is just that.. a MYTH.. that a turtle kept in a smaller container will stay small is a lie. I read on another forum how someone thought this to be true and kept their turtle in a fishbowl. It grew to the point that they couldn't get the turtle out.. no way to get it out without killing the turtle.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!! Read the main forum.. starting here...

http://www.redearslider.com/res-guide.pdf

Read, and read some more. One would hope that you'd want your turtle to do more than survive while in your care, they can live up to 40 yrs in captivity and depending on the sex of your turtle but to 12" ... remember they are an aquatic turtle and LOVE to swim.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:01 pm   

You can't provide the habitat your turtle needs in that little container, and it sounds like he's miserable and is trying to escape. Read up on what s/he needs to thrive...

And please, no bananas as a main food. Get a reputable pellet like Reptomin Baby as a staple in the diet.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:29 pm   

You could live in a closet too. But would you want to?
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:37 pm   

instead of freaking out I will help.

You know those huge rubbermaid containers??
They sell them at wal-mart and stuff, they are really cheap.

Not to mention your turtle IS going to be scared for a while.

I have had Neptune I think abotu a month and he just started getting used to me!
tini

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:11 am   

tini, you think what the rest of us did was freak out and not help? I thought I directed him to the needed information. Communicating by written word is rather difficult and very easy to misinterpret.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:27 pm   

How's your turtle doing, Buki?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:15 pm   

So sorry for late reply, I was starting to see if anyone at school was willing to take him in, because my mom still believes that the turtle doesn't need a big living space(and she and the rest of my family thinks that he'll drown with that much water >_>;; ). If it was up to me, I would gladly get him a tank and all the fixings, but my family is stubborn that way.
Basically he's doing what he's always doing(digging, 'climbing' walls, denying food), and like someone said, I'm was considering using a big Tupperware container in the meantime. I found that my friend Ya-Yin actually has two pet turtles(adults) living in her backyard and she is interested in taking in my turtle. I just need to get my little sister to want to let go of it, which is no easy task-hence the bigger container bid. I keep the turtle in a bigger area while I wean my sister off him/her.
As for bananas, I had tried every other food on some list I found to get him to eat. I figured bananas were smelly enough to attract him to the little cup and maybe make him gain an appetite to eat something.
So for the meantime, to make sure I do this right, large Tupperware container, rocks (I'm assuming you boil them for sanitation reasons then let them cool off), lighting and warmth? That's what I gather, and forgive me, like it says I'm new so I'm probly overlooking something.
Buki

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:26 pm   

UVB light AND heat light (a lightbulb is OK) over a basking area that is easy for him to get on and completely dry off and bask at a temp of 88-90F. A submersible water heater (if it's cool where you are) to keep the water at about 78F. A filter (or do frequent water changes), and perhaps a plastic plant to float for him to rest on/hide in (or someplace he can go to for privacy.

Bananas are sometimes used to get sick turtles eating, but once he is, get him eating pellets and vary with other foods. (Do some reading on this site about what to offer.)
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:38 pm   

Buki, I totally sympathize with you on the point of convincing your family of your turtles needs. It was the same way with my husband at first. Everything I got for my turtle I fought for until my hubby finally saw all the pics of the other turtles posted here under the gallery. Almost all of them show the turtles in a wonderful environment and lots of water. Now he's always suggesting something new for Koopa. Just be patient but do your research and present intelligent answers/requests to your parents and maybe they will come around, who knows? :D
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:41 pm   

I can understand why your family feels that way. Many believe turtles shouldn't be kept in deep water and don't need much space, if any. Convincing them through pictures and research may be the only way. Good luck to you.

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:57 pm   

Show your family this website! Or print out some of the key information on here for them to read.
Cooter: 6.75 inches
Beefcake: 5 inches
TurtleBot

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:19 am   

It is a lot of work but just keep your hopes up!
tini

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:36 am   

Hi Buki, I have heard the same story from other posters, the parents are willing to get a pet turtle but are not willing to get the requirements for it, good luck convincing them to get the turtle at least the very basic needs, if not, I hope you can find him/her a good home.

Good luck either way. :)
STRAYKINGFISHER

Next

Return to Urgent Care