Urgent Care :: Turtle Laying Under Dock

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:51 pm   Turtle Laying Under Dock

My turtle is just lodged under his dock and his head isn't even out of the water. It sort of looks like he is just stuck under there. why is he doing this? Is he sleeping under water? Could he drown?? Please Help!
1 Red Ear Slider Turtle- Sheldon
Cat- Wittle
12 hermit crabs- Alice, Jasmine, Prince, Mr. Toad, Heidi, Nemo, Ariel, Beast, Simba, Roo, Mowgli, and Bambi
1 hamster- Hampton
2 betta fish- Perp and Friggles
RIP Snuggles the Cat and Squirt the Fish
nicoleh86

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:42 pm   

First, go check to see if he's actually stuck. If so, get him out from under there. If not, he's probably just found a comfortable hiding spot.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:42 pm   

Oh, just wanted to add that they can stay under water for quite a while without poking their nose out for air so don't panic. Mine sleep totally submerged.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:44 pm   

If your turtle is hiding (which is more likely) it's a good cause. Hiding relieves stress

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:43 pm   

Scooby does that too! He goes under the basking dock into the little bar and somehow he fits in there and he puts his head up behind the dock for air. I raised the bar so he wouldn't go in there anymore. but he has pleanty of hiding places, I know that. Since I raised the bar, he doesn't fit there anymore so he goes in the fake plants or behind a rock.
-Shady: 3" RES; 1 year old
-Scooby: 1.5" RES;
-Bubbles: 1" RES
-Tipper: 4 year old Rat Terrier
shady1616

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:48 pm   

Yes, it's always best to change a specific hiding space that may become dangerous and cause harm (in this case, getting stuck, pneumonia, drowning) and offering them many other hiding places such as plants, or a little aquarium log that I see many people place in.
A simple safe flower pot will attract the turtle

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:06 pm   

Neptune just likes to hide. That's probably what's going on.
tini

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:09 pm   

yeah, i don't think scooby's used to me still. I think it'll take a while.
-Shady: 3" RES; 1 year old
-Scooby: 1.5" RES;
-Bubbles: 1" RES
-Tipper: 4 year old Rat Terrier
shady1616

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:55 am   

same here Mikey is constantly under that dock now. Though he still sits on that filter when he wants. But like you shady I think Mikey is getting used to me and plus he loves to hide...though he does have that cave of his that I bought..

But he gave me a heartattack because I couldn't find him at all and I thought somehow he had gotten out of his tank..and here he was clinging to the underside of that dang dock. *shakes head* What kids will do you to you....
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:31 pm   

Well I feel a little better after reading this. I just got 2 little babies and put them in there new tank and was worried that they were gonna get stuck under there little turtle landing since one keeps going under there and it looks like hes haveing trouble finding a spot to stick his head up out of the water. I guess they just need to explore and learn their way around their new home perhaps.
Renee

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:51 pm   

My turtle does that all the time. She just tucks herself under the dock and sleeps. It's like her bed.
Mandy

Return to Urgent Care