Urgent Care :: my turtle's eyes...

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:18 pm   

Spinach is on the do not feed list. It's high in oxilix acid (sp). Romaine lettuce, escarole, and other leafy greens like that is good. Re-check the feed list under the nutrition. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:24 pm   

What oxalic acid is, is an ingredient in Aspirin. They just did studies on oestoperosis patients and found out that Aspirin lowered calcium absorption.

Same prinsiple I guess.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:03 pm   

I'd say moving him around contributed a lot to his current state. Did he have a proper habitat in any of the places he was?

He will not eat veggies if he's not eating. (And you don't ever want to feed him spinach or broccoli.) The most important thing, if he's not eating, is to get him to eat so he'll have some strength. Try giving him something smelly to get him going--bits of sardines or tuna packed in water (you also could use the water to soak a few of his pellets in to increase their smell, let them dry, and give him some. He won't eat if he can't see--will he take a little of the food if you hold it in front of his nose? (Remember, he has to eat in water.)

I'd try this in a separate container (it doesn't have to be that big, and the water can be just enough to cover his shell so he can eat). Water should be about 80F. You might also get him some liquid vitamins (the kind made for babies or even birds is OK and put some of that into the feeding container.

You do want to take him to a herp vet, though, as soon as possible.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Previous

Return to Urgent Care