Urgent Care :: my little turtles have puffy white eyes

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:18 pm   my little turtles have puffy white eyes

me and my friend just bought little turtles a little over a week ago. We feed them regularly with 4 pellets each a day( as the seller told us). i ve cleaned the tank once so far cuz he told us to clean it once a week. I put water conditioner in the water twice and "clean turtle: biological reduction of turtle waste" in once so far. i dont know why but they both have puffy white eyes. we live in florida so it is hot. but our room is air conditioned. But I closed the vent in our room before the puffyness showed up. Could someone help me please!?
hero7

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:50 pm   

Can you tell us more about their setup? Do you have a basking light, water heater, filter etc? How big is the tank? How many turtles?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:10 am   :-)

actually, i just changed the water to warmer water and put them in a different place with out so much AC and put a light on them for night time. theyre doing much better:-) a lot more lively!
hero7

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:41 am   

Glad they seem to be better.. you're going to need a heater for the night time so you can turn the light off. Could you tell the requirements that you have?
And add carrots and veggies into their diet, for it will help clear those eyes
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:48 am   

hi hero
I hope by now ur turts are much better and u have read all the stickys. I was wondering, I live in Fl. as well and I have pump water so I can use it right from my sink, if you have city water this is treated with chlorine and other chemicals, please consider these will irrate eyes too. there are some simple easy solutions if you find this may be the caz, pet stores sell chlorine out products or u may use bottle waters etc. just food for thought here keep use informed.
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:37 pm   

Keep them away from any AC vents, cool drafts or breezes. Water temp should be a constant 78-79F (get a submersible water heater if you need to) and the basking area at a temp of 88-90F. What are they being fed?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:14 pm   

The sad thing is that at this pet store called Pet World, they sold a lot of baby turtles the looked very sick and with puffy eyes. Some were very close to death. They kept like about 30 turtles in a 10g tank. And they were all stacked on the little turtle dock. There water was only about 2" deep and the tank had little pebbles on the bottom, small enough for the turtles to feed on them. The only thing they had right was the filter. :cry:

Its good to see that your turt survived and hopefully, it will live a great life. :)
-Shady: 3" RES; 1 year old
-Scooby: 1.5" RES;
-Bubbles: 1" RES
-Tipper: 4 year old Rat Terrier
shady1616

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:19 pm   

why use a filter when you have 2 inches of water.. :roll:
It's a bit suprising that even pets tores are selling hatchlings. Here, they mention salmonella and will not sell turtles under 4 inches. (They check the measurements before you purchase them :wink: )

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:25 pm   

I don't know, but they had a filter in it. And all the babies were about an inch.
-Shady: 3" RES; 1 year old
-Scooby: 1.5" RES;
-Bubbles: 1" RES
-Tipper: 4 year old Rat Terrier
shady1616

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm   

hero7, what are your turtles being fed?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care