Urgent Care :: question regarding baby res

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:39 pm   question regarding baby res

I am writing about my aunts baby res. I babysat for her this weekend. She/he is just a hatchling, we picked ours up last week in Florida. Her baby is still in the small plastic 1 gal tank, (she is getting her new setup next week) I took out all the gravel because I noticed she pooped out a gravel. But the turtle is not as active as mine, he basically does the "dead man float" all day and only swims around if I move the container he is in. He will swim for a few seconds and then right back to both his legs and arms spread out just floating. I have been doing daily water changes to help keep the temputure of the water warm enough, until she gets her set up, and he has not eaten at all. He is not swimming sideways but his eyes seemed closed all the time, he when he is swimming, I have seen him open his eye's they look fine, but it is not for very long. She is afraid it is going to die. I just want to know if it is normal or not. Thanks
Donna
Donna Martin

Hatchling
Squirtle
donnamartin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:10 pm   

If he pooped out gravel, then that's what he's eating. Take the gravel out, for it will cause serious trouble if stuck. Give him foods with strong odor meat.
It's good that he's mastering her float, do you have plants for him to rest on?
I'm not sure about the eyes, but once you get him into his new setup, keep us updated.

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:42 pm   

Doing daily water changes won't keep the water at a constant temperature, which a hatchling needs (about 78F for a healthy one). When will the new set-up be ready? Make sure it has a submersible water heater as well as a basking area, proper lighting, temps and filter. How big will the new tank/container be?

Try some bits of boiled white chicken meat. A good staple for a little hatchling is Reptomin Baby.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:54 am   

please get the right things this little guy needs a.s.a.p. babies are very delicate.... water food heat basking etc. the stickys will help guide you and ur aunt. good luck keep us informed plz.
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:53 pm   

It's quite normal for baby turtles, let alone RES and how picky that are, to ignore food from new owners. Your turtle that you're babysitting may just be bored with the 1 gallon substitute so that might be why it just sits there. Also, try to remove gravel and leave the tank bare. It's easier to clean and safer for your turtle. :)
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.
knite

Return to Urgent Care