Urgent Care :: !!HELP!! female res digging around at the bottom of the tank

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:51 pm   !!HELP!! female res digging around at the bottom of the tank

I have two red eared slider turtles. I’m sure that one is a male and one is a female. The female has been spending a lot of time digging around at the bottom of the tank. She has dug numerous holes and pits at the bottom. Is she looking for a place to lay eggs? Plz help
mikeowins

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:58 pm   

How big are your turtles and what is your setup like?

I know I've seen several topics on here about female res and their nest. You might use the search button at the top to see if any of these help until someone can answer your questions. And welcome to the board. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:02 pm   

I know both my turtles do this.. they are constantly foraging for "leftovers". Does she have any other symptoms at all?
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:09 pm   

Or maybe they're just redecorating?
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:33 am   

How big/old are the turtles?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:05 pm   

the turtles are 5 or 6 yrs old. the female is now 1 1/2 pounds and i think she must be around 6 or 7 in. they are in a 250 gallon tank with a dual filter system. she seems to be digging around alot but maby she is just redecorating :? .nither of them seem to have anyother symptoms its just the female digging around. Franklen the male turtle dosent seem to dig around nearly as much as flipper"female turtle". im not shure anyone els gota clue?
mikeowins

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:29 pm   

If you think she may be gravid, make her a nesting site. Some info on why and how to do it is here: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Nestsites.htm
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:36 pm   

thanks. ill check it out
ReS: Franklen & Flipper
mikeowins

Return to Urgent Care