Urgent Care :: water temp

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:12 am   water temp

I was reading on one of these posts that the water temp of 80-85 is not good, so I got a little concerned. I have a plastic tub that holds about 40 gallons and has a little fountain in it that I use for "Turtle" outside. It's a temporary swimming pool (next to my swimming pool that is in a screen enclosure) so she can get fresh air and sunshine for a few hours now and then. I live in Florida (east of Orlando) and right now the water temp in my pool is 86, so I think the Turtle pool is the same. I see she is shedding a little on her legs and under her neck, but not excessive, and I thought this was normal. Her shell looks very healthy. Her tank water in the house is around 76 degrees. Should I try to cool the water everytime I put her out there? It gets cooled I'm sure when I change it.
Sorry to be so longwinded.....
gammeragirl

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:23 pm   

Any kind of tub or tank placed outside has the potential to be very warm, even hot. This is especially true if that tub or tank is in direct sunlight and will be even more dangerous if there is water in it. Small amounts of water can heat up quickly in sunlight, and considering that you are not even using a thermometer you are putting your turt at great risk.

If you want her to get some sunshine and fresh air, build an escape proof barrier with shade or watch her when she's out there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:49 pm   

Thanks for the input, and the idea of the barrier. I have a good place under my screen enclosure that has pygmy palms and a few bromeliads planted. Any suggestions for a barrier? I got some garden border fencing from Home Depot, but it's not tall enough, she sure is a good climber. She'll have some good hiding spots when she wants to keep a low profile, shade when she wants, and sunshine on the other end.
I just love this turt!
gammeragirl

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:58 pm   

Just keep in mind they are also good diggers. One more thing, they may be tempting to a predator, which is why I like to personally watch over them when I have them outside.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:12 pm   

Oh, I agree. I'll have to take a pix and show you the area, it's screened, and animals can't get in. There is cement that goes down several inches from where the screen is attached, but I'll watch for digging. It's a nice tropical abode.
gammeragirl

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:32 pm   

I'm going through the water temp problem right now (it's very hot in CT and will be all week). My turts are all outside for the day and I have to periodically check the temp and do partial water changes, adding cool water when the temp gets too high. I also keep filled bottles from mineral water in the freezer and pop them in the tank to bring down the temp a bit (this, however, works better for indoor tanks/containers).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:46 pm   

Marisa, what is the advantage of using mineral water instead of the tap water? Less chemicals?
We have shallow ponds all thru my neighborhood and lots of turtles in them. I see them basking, and wonder how warm the water is in those ponds. We have been getting rain storms every day, so I guess it cools it then, but when it is dry I wonder how they fare.
gammeragirl

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:07 pm   

I don't think I explained myself very well. Sorry lol. I buy smaller bottles of mineral water (Poland Springs, Aquafina, etc.) and I drink the mineral water. Then I take the empty bottle, fill it with regular water and freeze it. When the water's too warm in the tank, I pop in a frozen bottle of water (or two) in the tank and let it float around (or I have tied it to side to anchor it in one place), and as the ice inside melts, it will keep the temp down a bit. (And I think it's safer than dropping ice cubes in the tank like I've read some people do.) As always, checking the temp with a thermometer is good. It seems to be more effective with tanks/containers that are in inside in warm rooms. I've been keeping a small supply of bottles in the freezer to use in this manner.

Don't waste good mineral water in the bottles on turts. The regular stuff freezes and melts just as well. :D
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:09 pm   

I've also read of some people insulating the stock tanks they have outdoors against the heat. Don't know how effective it is, though.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:24 pm   

Wow, sounds like a good idea instead of dropping ice cubes directly into the water. I always have water bottles in the freezer.
Turtle's regular indoor home is pretty stable at 76 degrees all the time, since I have the A/C set constantly. It will be nice once the weather gets cooler where I can opent the windows.
gammeragirl

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:27 pm   

Be careful of where your turtles are in relation to the AC. AC chills the air, and cool breezes/drafts can result in respiratory infections.
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care