Urgent Care :: New RES owner and now a soft shell!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:39 am   New RES owner and now a soft shell!

Looked through all the messages but didn't find a specific question on soft shells, so here we go... After reading messages, we've got some issues with tank set up (currently; 1 gallon of water, 8x14x5 tank, rocks, no heat lamp). We've got 2 turtles. One seems to fine (based on all the messages). The other has not grown in 3 months (compared to other who is 1/2" bigger), doesn't seem to eat (turtle pellets) and sits on the rocks all the time. Now the real kicker, yesterday we noticed the shell was soft. Any advice on what to do will help.
larrisenberg

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:46 am   

first off, you need a serious upgrade on that tank. its should be 10 gallons of space for each inch of shell. Do you have a UVB light? Have you been feeding them any sort of calicium source such as calcium powder or cuttlebone?? do they have a basking spot to be able to get out of the water and completely dry off?? You may want to do a bit more reading on how to prepare a proper indoor habitat ...

besides all that.. Welcome to the forum :) Keep asking ?'s and keep reading...
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:36 pm   

Yes, they have a place to completely dry off. No, I don't have a UVB bulb and No, I have not been giving them calcium. Can I get the calcium and UVB bulb at a regular pet store (aka PetSmart)? Is the turtle with the soft shell OK? Do I need to do anything quicK?
larrisenberg

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:33 pm   

You can use cuttlebone or calcium powder for their calcium source. just take the hard backing off the cuttlebone and let it float in the tank. You can put the calcium dust on their pellets. A turtle needs a UVB light to help them absorb the calcium and which helps their bones/shell to grow properly. Again, I suggest you read the stickys under all the major forums. Check under Feeding and Nutrition on what to feed or NOT feed your turtle. There's also a number of stickys under Habitat-Indoor about how to set up a proper environment for your turtles.. read read read.. and then read some more.. :)

Heck i've had my turtles for a year and I'm still asking questions and making improvements.. lol
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:35 pm   

Check online for the best prices... especially when you are preparing to purchase several different items.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:27 pm   

What exactly are they being fed? In addition to the calcium and Vit D3, a diet high in phosphorus and low in calcium will also contribute to a soft shell. If you get a powdered calcium supplement, make sure it doesn't contain any phosphorus (don't get something like Reptocal).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:24 pm   

the stuff I have is Wardley reptile sticks. 40% protein, 6% fat, 5% fiber, 10% moisture, 2.5% calcium and 1% Phosphorus
larrisenberg

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:36 pm   

Re-read your previous replies. If they can't get into unfiltered sunlight (not through a window, plexiglass, or other such barrier) several times a week for a few hours each time, they need a UVB light (and one is good to have anyway). Get the proper lighting for them to bask under, increase the calcium in the diet and I'd add more variety to their diet as well. How much are they being fed and how often?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care