Urgent Care :: He wont eat! (NEED HELP)

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:07 pm   He wont eat! (NEED HELP)

Help!!

I've had my slider for about 2 months... and right now he ( or so we think) doesnt accept any food. He is actually running away from it.

Its been two days since he hasnt eaten anything. At first i thought he was full but he didnt eat anything today either.
I have two. The girl is still doing great.
He wont swim either... he only swims from his floting rock to a corner in the tank where he can hide.

We usually give them pellets (i think they are called) Lettuce, carrots... stuff like that.

What is going on? is the Girl doing something to him? Is he sick?
I'm worried what can i do?
made2adore

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:42 pm   

Is he showing any other strange symptoms?

You can try some smelly foods like tuna(packed in water NOT oil).

What kind of setup do you have?
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:09 pm   

How big are your turtles and how big is their tank?

Have you noticed any dominance/agression from the other turtle?

Do you feed them together? If so, does he get an equal share of the food (and the chance to eat it)?

Does he had any other symptoms?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:21 pm   

He also closes his eyes from time to time and when i checked him closely he had a little white substance in his lip. Not enough to even worry about. ( i hope so)

I think i have them in a 20 gallon tank. floating rock and a filter. the turtles are still small. I've never measured them --> but smaller than your palm.

WE always feed them together but make sure they have an equal share. We watch them eat it.

The other turtle has always been more dominant. I havent seen her be aggressive to him. But she was always the first one begging for food and swimming everywhere we go.

Tuna? Will try. or something else smelly.
made2adore

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:29 pm   

If they're each around the size of your palm or slightly smaller a 20-gallon is really two small for them. Think, as a guide, 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell length (measure the shell length down the back but don't include the curve).

Too small a tank can cause terrritorial/dominance problems and you can't be there all the time to watch them. Since the other turtle is dominant and sounds bolder, I'd try feeding that one in a separate container and letting the shyer one eat in the tank. And I'd start thinking about upgrading the size of the tank.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:56 pm   

When we first got our turtles. we got them to eat by giving them freeze fried blood worms. Good luck with them!
8 RES: Tampa, Bay, Exclamation (Male R.I.P. 2-10-07), Question-mark, Tiny Tim, Pan Handle (Male), Squirt, & Crush.

KI4JAV

www.notyourdaddysguncases.com
TinySlider2

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:55 am   

i recently saved a neglected turtle and it had white crusty looking skin around it mouth and it has mouth rot :-( - it was eating but it was struggling to rip and chew.
i dont know about your one but id get it checked out as i have had to seperate mine because it is contagious.
sarah f

Return to Urgent Care