Urgent Care :: Help!! Need information

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:34 pm   Help!! Need information

I have a res I brought home from Florida. He wasn't eating so I did research and was able to get him to eat a cricket. He still isn't eating well. But now his eyes are puffy and he is becoming less active. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sue
gotatud

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:56 pm   

read the stickies for proper care. Sounds like your turt is getting a respritory infection. Put cod liver oil on the eyes, it will help. put the tank water up a few degrees from the recomended. Visit all the topics and read the stickies
bradhart

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:20 pm   

a trip to the vet will also be needed. RI's don't go away on their own. Good luck.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:03 pm   

Since he's becoming lethargic and doesn't want to eat, he should be brought to a herp vet. (Look at the links under the sticky for locating a herp vet if you don't have one/don't know of one.) In the meantime, bump up the water temp to 81-82F and the basking area to 90-92F (the increased warmth will help him fight the infection). Make sure he's not in any drafts/breezes (including AC).

Cod liver oil with help with a Vit A deficiency, but not directly with a respiratory infection. You could try applying a little with a q-tip on the eyelid, but it does sound like your turt has an RI.

Let us know what happens.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care