Urgent Care :: Ear abcess?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:48 pm   Ear abcess?

I've never dealt with one, so I want to know if this is something I should be concerned about. I had the turts out the other day for a feeding and noticed a slight bump on each side of both their heads. I'm not sure if this is a normal shape and I just haven't noticed til now or if it's the beginning of abcesses. I'd rather get some opinions before I go running off to the vet.

Thanks

The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:58 pm   

i don't see anything out of the ordinary. just keep an eye on it, here's a pic of one on a slider

steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:15 pm   

When my RES puts his head a certain way two areas, one on each side of the head become prominent. If both sides have this raised area, I don't think it's an abcess.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:43 pm   

I read that abscesses can appear on both sides simultaneously. She looks fine, very similar too mine.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:52 pm   

Possible, but those areas don't really look like lumps or like they'll come lumps.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:55 pm   

ok thanks. That's a relief. I guess since they've grown, certain things tend to stand out.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:50 pm   

The areas in the picture look like the turtle in thew175's June 27 post (about the wierd discoloration on the neck), and that wasn't an abcess. (BTW, whatever happened to thew175?)

If the water quality isn't good, there's more of a chance of an abcess developing...
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:14 pm   

Water quality definetly isn't an issue for them. I'm feeling much better now. Thanks :-)
jenaero

Return to Urgent Care