Urgent Care :: help!! my RES turtles aren't getting better...

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:14 pm   help!! my RES turtles aren't getting better...

hello. I bought 3 new baby RES turtles in April and during the first few months, I mainly fed them pellets. They have a 15L tank with a basking dock and a water filter. I bought a UV light and it's arriving soon. Since it's hot where I live I always turn on the air conditioner, so their water is always cold. I also fed them approximately 2 times a day. I don't know if it's a cause of their illness, but a few weeks ago one of the turtles stopped eating and kept sleeping on the basking dock. Their eyes also began to swell. I searched online and thought it was a vitamin A deficiency, and I was afraid that the others would get sick too, so I began to feed them veggies, pellets and raw salmon. They continued to live together but that one turtle still wasn't getting better, so I put them in a separate container. In that container, I put some vitamin oil or something into the water so they could soak in it, it's been soaking for a week now and it's slowly getting better. It's beginning to eat but it's eyes are still a little swollen. Then, the other turtle also stopped eating and displayed similar symptoms. I put all 3 turtles in separate containers to take care of them, doused their water with the vitamin old so they could soak in it and fed them pellets. All 3 turtles' eyes are swollen, I don't know how to treat that problem, I thought soaking them in vitamin oil and giving them food high in vitamin A would help, but it didn't. It's been a week, except for the turtle who got sick first, the others aren't really eating and they keep clawing at their eye. They kept swimming (trying to get out of the container?) and I'm worried sick. They've been the best things that happened in my life and I don't want to lose them. Please help! :mrgreen:
moonja

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:21 am   Re: help!! my RES turtles aren't getting better...

I think you should take them to a vet. The swollen eyes are usually Vitamin A deficiency, conjunctivitis (from UV), or a water quality issue. I would try to rule out water issues first. Don't soak them in oil. How long has it been since they ate?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care