Urgent Care :: Worried my turtle(s) have septicemia!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:46 am   Worried my turtle(s) have septicemia!

Hi! I'll get to the point. I have 3 RES' and worried one of them (Ezio) has septicemia. It also seems to be spreading to another one (Oogway). Ezio's she'll seems to be a light pink colour. Now Oogway's skin is showing pink spots. Oogway and Ezio reside together. Their behaviour hasn't changed ONE BIT. Their plastrons have slight pink tinge tho. Please help! The vets here are really expensive and they're my last resort. I've treated turtle injuries before but if this is bacterial poisoning, I'll get them to the vet ASAP. Help is appreciated!
Nachi113

Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:37 am   Re: Worried my turtle(s) have septicemia!

If these are very young turtle's the " slight pink tinge " you state could be from there growth ? You / most can not tell even when its a darker pink to Red for sure. Only A Blood Test Will Tell for sure ! I would separate all until you have a Vet do a blood test !
Don't wait , if caught early enough septicemia can be treated with antibiotic's.
You can not treat if septicemia by "OTC" drugs . Some Vets will work out a payment plan for you just ask.
Better safe and know for sure than waiting for any changes and if septicemia time is very important , it's often fatal when one wait's.
I would make a payment plan out with the Vet for a blood test just for peace of mind since you are concerned already.

Good read : http://www.redearslider.com/major_illne ... uries.html

Also : http://www.redearslider.com/sick_turtle.html

You can post photo's , would help some and wait for an opinion from others but that's time lost if septicemia , then to me peace of mind goes a long way with our turtle fiends. Your call , don't wait too long , you can always cancel an appointment if you choose.
Even try animal shelters or rescue / nature centers for free help better to see a turtle first hand than by a photo. Again only a blood test can tell 100% if septicemia.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:29 am   Re: Worried my turtle(s) have septicemia!

A picture of Oogway. The pink tinges seem to be increasing.
Attachments
1537432110253854.jpg
Nachi113

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:31 am   Re: Worried my turtle(s) have septicemia!

Ezio with Oogway. The Colorado quality is better here
Attachments
153743223288350.jpg
Nachi113

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:31 am   Re: Worried my turtle(s) have septicemia!

Nachi113 wrote:Ezio with Oogway. The Colorado quality is better here

*Colour quality
Nachi113

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:17 am   Re: Worried my turtle(s) have septicemia!

Are they getting enough UVB/calcium/Vitamin D3?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:28 pm   Re: Worried my turtle(s) have septicemia!

steve wrote:Are they getting enough UVB/calcium/Vitamin D3?

I mix calcium in their water (the vet suggested I mix it) and I let them get about an hour of sunlight a day
Nachi113

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:03 pm   Re: Worried my turtle(s) have septicemia!

You could get more calcium directly into turtle's if you make your own food like jello shots. Use search box for recipe. Also could dip lettuce or stick food into the calcium and hand feed so they get it into them instead of in the water where the filter will just filter it out. They would have to drink so very much water to get any results form calcium in tank water. Maybe the vet meant mix it with his "food" .
Does the type of calcium you have contain D3 and phosphorus-free ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:12 am   Re: Worried my turtle(s) have septicemia!

litefoot wrote:You could get more calcium directly into turtle's if you make your own food like jello shots. Use search box for recipe. Also could dip lettuce or stick food into the calcium and hand feed so they get it into them instead of in the water where the filter will just filter it out. They would have to drink so very much water to get any results form calcium in tank water. Maybe the vet meant mix it with his "food" .
it contains Phosphorus and D3. My normal source of calcium drops is out of stock is over so I got a new one. Has Phosphorus
Nachi113

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:12 am   Re: Worried my turtle(s) have septicemia!

Nachi113 wrote:
litefoot wrote:You could get more calcium directly into turtle's if you make your own food like jello shots. Use search box for recipe. Also could dip lettuce or stick food into the calcium and hand feed so they get it into them instead of in the water where the filter will just filter it out. They would have to drink so very much water to get any results form calcium in tank water. Maybe the vet meant mix it with his "food" .
it contains Phosphorus and D3. My normal source of calcium drops is out of stock is over so I got a new one. Has Phosphorus

It also has Vitamins A and B12
Nachi113

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:33 pm   Re: Worried my turtle(s) have septicemia!

[ contains phosphorus ] Old timers like me rather a phosphorus free type , most OTC type and some diets for Ca:P ratio can never be achieved. The ratio for it is small ( 1.5:1 ) and can be handled by a well mixed / varied / balance and nutritious diet with a good supplement . But then that's us old timers and I am old. The best source of calcium carbonate we / old timers like is a 100% natural phosphorus-free oyster shell type. Rep-Cal is a good brand and comes "with" and or without D3. Try the type with D3 , will get good results over time.
litefoot

Return to Urgent Care