Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: NEW SLIDER MAMA HERE...

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:15 pm   NEW SLIDER MAMA HERE...

:shock: Rec'd 5 sliders for my daughter this wk, she has wanted for yrs... And so they were a gift....I am completely in the dark for care, and the person who got them hasnt a clue either. ANY AND ALL HELP APPRECIATED!

1. How long do i leave the UV lite on? All nite or ?
2. One has icky growth on front claws and white spots on neck. I isolated to another container~ what is this and what do i do?
3. How do i keep the water clear?
ETC ETC
thanks
Stressed spelled backwards = desserts. Coincidence? I think not! Jasa
darlinjasa

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:29 am   

For the UV light, just make it so it is like a normal day. I usually just turn mine on when I wake up, and turn it off when I go to sleep. You want them to be able to sleep in the dark too. :D

To keep the water clear you are going to need a filter. Most people recommend a Fluval or Rena Filstar. With 5 turtles, you will need a really good filter since you should have a rather large tank for all of them.

You might also want to make sure you get a heater and basking rock or platform.

Mike
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

Were 1.3" and 1.4" when I got them on May 12, 2005
therizman1

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:20 pm   UV LITE

THANKS! WASNT SURE WHEN TO TURN THE LITE OFF OR IF TO! I APPRECIATE THAT INFO.........

ALSO IS IT BETTER TO FEED THEM IN THE TANK OR OUT OF THE TANK? I HAVE HEARD BOTH.

THANKS
:) NEW MAMA~
darlinjasa

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:28 pm   

Either is fine. If you just got them feed them in the tank til they get used to you. If they'll eat out of the tank, that's great. It'll save you a lot of mess. I, for one, can't be bothered. I have so much to do in the morning before work that I just toss the food in and watch for a minute to make sure each gets his share. In your case, since you have soooo many, it may be a good idea to feed in a separate container because some will end up getting more than others. Some turts wont eat out of the tank tho. It took mine a long time to get used to it. The only time I feed them out of their tank is when I'm doing a water change. That's when they get a messy treat of fruit, chicken, or other such messy things.

BTW, they need to eat in water because res don't produce saliva.

Just out of curiosity, what's your setup like? Tank size/lighting etc. What are you feeding them?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:48 pm   

How big are your turtles? How big is their container? Read the Stickies, they have great info...
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:00 pm   Darlinjasas Turtles

1 1/2 inches long, and we have 5 of them. We ARE getting a bigger tank. These were given as a gift for my daughter who has asked 3 yrs for them. We expected 2. So, 5.....is alot more work i hear. We may see if we can find a home for 3 of them and only keep 2. Its a 20 gallon tank.

Will check out Stickies THANKS!
GREAT SITE ![/i]
darlinjasa

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:34 pm   

since they are that young, make sure you get them to eat. you might have to seperate them when feeding to make sure they get their share. also mkake sure the water is 78 degrees F and there is an easy to access basking area with a temp of 90 degrees F.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:08 am   

It also sounds like one of your turtles needs to see a qualified vet soon. Those skin conditions don't sound normal. :cry: Best wishes for the little cutie.
turteywordy

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:52 pm   

Five? Think of getting a preformed pond if you keep them all.

The white areas sound like a fungus. You could try soaking your turtle in a salt water bath. Get some aquarium salt (not table salt)-- you can get it at Walmart quite cheaply.

Add 2 tablespoons to a gallon of comfortably warm water (You can add anti-fungal medicine to the salt bath as well if you have it). The water should be deep enough to cover the shell (you don't want it deep enough to swim in). Remove any visible fungus from the turtle with a q-tip. Let the turtle soak for 30-60 minutes each day for 3-5 days. If the condition persists or if you're in doubt as to improvement, consult a herp vet.

Let us know how the turtle does.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.