Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Intro

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:26 pm   Intro

We currently have a dog, Mexican Green Conure, Uromastyx, juvenile Sulcata tortoise, multiple tropical fish tanks (I raise Philippine Blue angelfish).
I just emptied out a 100 gallon tank (60x20x20) and plan on keeping just my resident clean up crew of catfish, Yoyo loaches and a large shoal of Rummynose tetras. I am going to set up this tank for turtles. The specifics are the water is at 80 degrees, lots of driftwood, no live plants, excellent filtration, bare bottom, UV, and aeration systems. I change 30% of the water every week on all my tanks. I will build a basking platform, UV light and feeding area about 20 x 10 with a slate surface.
After much research I have been in touch with folks at The Turtle Source. They have been extremely helpful and gained my confidence as a supplier. We discussed the multiple species of turtles that can live together if purchased as “Well started hatchlings” – their terminology not mine. This is not an endorsement for them, but a request for any info regarding experience dealing with them or other suppliers.
My plan is to get 4 or 5 different species.
Thanks in advance,
Ken
kgoerg1

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:07 pm   Re: Intro

Since submitting this first post I have changed my plan to concentrate on keeping just DBTs. I also have read some horror stories about that supplier and others. I will look into DBT breeders.
kgoerg1

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:57 am   Re: Intro

Where are you located? You might want to find a local breeder or someone looking to rehome.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:11 pm   Re: Intro

I am in southeast Michigan-looking for baby DBT only.
kgoerg1

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:38 pm   Re: Intro

A past member (most have moved over to our facebook page) breeds DBT but I think is located in Pennsylvania. Most large cities will have reptile expos, so I would probably start there. Would be easier to vet them as well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:01 am   Re: Intro

Thanks for the advice Steve. I'm gonna hit the reptile expo in Taylor, MI in two weeks.
kgoerg1

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:59 pm   Re: Intro

Sounds good, wishing you a successful trip!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:18 pm   Re: Intro

Hey Steve - what's the address/name of the Facebook page you referred to? I'll join that. Is it this: https://www.facebook.com/RedEaredSliders/
Is there enough interest from that community on DBTs or is it really basically focused on RES?
kgoerg1

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:32 am   Re: Intro

The group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TurtleT ... rtleOwners

It's mainly focused on RES, though there is general interest in all shelled friends.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.