Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hi, I'm Sue in Hawaii and I have Red-Eared Slider Female

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:57 pm   Hi, I'm Sue in Hawaii and I have Red-Eared Slider Female

Hi, I live in Kailua, Hawaii. We have a red-eared slider who grew up in the wild, clambered up the hill when she was a baby from a nearby stream and threw herself into our pool that is converted into a fish pond. So she has 15,000 gallons in which too cavort. She suns herself beside the pool but rarely goes more than a few feet away. She competes with the koi for food and prefers to be hand fed. She is now about 10 years old. She originally was terrified of us at first but was won over with pieces of old Spam (proving she really is a Hawaiian at heart). I am on this forum to ask folks if she would accept us adding in a baby red-eared (also apparently wild born) who was found while we were on a walk by a neighbor. Would she kill it? Hubby thinks so..
HawaiiSue

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:40 pm   Re: Hi, I'm Sue in Hawaii and I have Red-Eared Slider Female

Hi, welcome to the forum! Most RES would just ignore each other while some will be aggressive. While most female RES do pretty well with other turtles, she could still accidentally hurt a smaller/weaker one. Before introducing turtles together, it is recommended to quarantine them. I imagine it would be hard to take the turtle out of the pond, so I would leave the turtle out until it was bigger.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.