Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hi! I'm Lisa and I think I have a YBS. Rescued from the stre

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:52 pm   Hi! I'm Lisa and I think I have a YBS. Rescued from the stre

Hi turtle fams! If this is not the forum, please let me know. My ex husband picked up a tiny slider (YBS) in May of this year and sent her home in a bucket with the kids. Didn't intend to keep the turtle but she completely fascinates me and the children. I just invested in a 72 gallon bow front tank with a fluval canister filter. I got it running but continue to realize I have a ton to learn about these amazing creatures. I want her healthy (Shelly). I have no clue what to put in this tank for her to hide when she wants? It's barren! I adore this turtle like I do my dogs lol. But I've never had a reptile of any kind. Please I need suggestions. Just purchased a new basking contraption because she's too big for the zoo med suction cup beginner thing. Just need any and all advice for this gal. Thank you!
ladylilu

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:53 pm   Re: Hi! I'm Lisa and I think I have a YBS. Rescued from the

Hi ladylilu, welcome to the forum! A 75 gallon tank is a great start. Turtles need to bask under a UVB/heat lamp, have a water filter and water heater. Decorations are up to you, but make sure Tiny can't eat any of it unless they are aquatic plants. For UVB/heat, you will need an all-in-one bulb (mercury vapor bulb aka mvb) or two separate bulbs... a UVB bulb and a bulb that produces heat for basking. It will need to appropriate lamp fixture and connecting these to a timer will make life easier for you.

A canister aquarium filter is also help with the water quality. The Fluval FX series are highly recommended. An aquarium water heater is also necessary to maintain a consistent water temperature... 76-78F is usually optimal.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.