Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hi there! I'm new here and a newbie reptile lover!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:36 pm   Hi there! I'm new here and a newbie reptile lover!

Hello, hello! I believe it was March when I got my darling RES, Tuttlie (who I am hoping I've gendered correctly and is a female lol!). I love her and, while some may view me as wrong for doing this, she was found outside. However, it wasn't really your average "I took a turtle from their habitat) thing. See, she was literally on our doorpost and we had our dogs out (so we were lucky to find her). We believe she is the baby of a RES my friends and I saw lay eggs about a year back. We took her in and I have tried to take the best care of her. We have figured her age to be between 8-10 months old, so not even a year yet. While Ik a lot of people don't agree with taking animals from the wild and I also agree on a certain level, but I am the kind of person who will do the research and take the best care of my turtle I can.

That being said, please don't judge but wanted to get that out of the way. I've recently moved her into a 20 gallon tank, she has a filter, basking area with what I believe is a UVB light, a heater, thermometer, and am hoping to get more things this month. She's also fed daily and seems to be doing well. Just from the couple weeks I've had her she has grown used to me (and has become very very spoiled) so while some may suggest returning her outside, I will not be doing that. Right now, she is spoiled and doesn't like change, and if I put her outside she may not survive (and I adore her lol)

Since getting her I've discovered my absolute love of reptiles and am hoping to later on buy me an albino RES and a crested gecko. I hoped this forum could help me with any questions and just give me a nice community to chat with!
ChildofGod12

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:42 pm   Re: Hi there! I'm new here and a newbie reptile lover!

Hi, welcome to the forum! Is there any fresh water near your home? She could have wandered there when looking to make a nest.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:32 am   Re: Hi there! I'm new here and a newbie reptile lover!

steve wrote:Hi, welcome to the forum! Is there any fresh water near your home? She could have wandered there when looking to make a nest.

Not sure. We live on a country road with multiple homes, but we do have quite a bit of animal life and woods around us, so seeing different animals isn’t uncommon. The only water I know of is that from our ditches and there may be some natural water somewhere (would not surprise me at all!) lol!
ChildofGod12

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:35 am   Re: Hi there! I'm new here and a newbie reptile lover!

But finding her on the doorstep was a bit odd, (she was at our feet on the metal door post). She didn’t weigh even an ounce. Now she weighs 2.3 ounces and is around 4 inches or so long. Really, she’s gotten spoiled so quickly and dislikes change very strongly from what we can tell.
ChildofGod12

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.