Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Ziggy the Red-eared Slider

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:08 pm   Ziggy the Red-eared Slider

Hey folks,

My turtle's name is Ziggy. The name is inspired by Ziggy Marley of course. I've created this account to ensure my turtle has optimal conditions and I am 110% open to recommendations as it is my first turtle. My girlfriend and I got Ziggy around Christmas time, not sure how old he was when we got him, it's been 3 months since then and now I'm thinking that Ziggy is actually a girl. Though, I'm not sure yet, but what I've searched that has led me to think so is the flat bottom of the shell and the cloaca being closer to the shell.

The conditions of my turtle are as follows:

Tank Size: 20G
UVA/UVB: Yes, purchased with turtle
Lighting: 10 hours /day
Basking Dock: Rose quartz stacked
Filter: Aqueon Quiet Flow 20
Heater: Yes
Gravel: Yes
Plants: Anubias, 4 marimo moss balls + something else, I forget the name.
Housing: 10 - 8 Guppies, 1 Molly, 1 Pleco
Water Changes: 50% Weekly + Spot cleaning & netting throughout week
Diet: 1 Frozen Healthy Herp Juvenile Formula or 5 - 8 pellets Nutrafin Max /day
Calcium: Small turtle shaped calcium block

So my turtle is growing, not sure if he/she is growing too fast or not. Also, I'm not sure if certain spots on the shell are signs of shell rot or if it's just shell growth. I would love hear your feedback and recommendations. Looking forward to this communities' insights and experience!
IMG_20190322_144610.jpg

MVIMG_20190322_144738.jpg
ZiggyRES

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:44 pm   Re: Ziggy the Red-eared Slider

Welcome to the forum! Ziggy looks very good but I would cut down on the protein a bit as there are indications that she's growing a little too fast. Check to see when your UVB needs replacement... could be between 3/6/9/12 mos depending on brand. For gravel... make sure any piece in there is smaller than her head. Some have switched to sand as a substrate. I would skip the calcium block and make sure her pellets have calcium in there. If you want to add extra calcium, try cuttlebone. As for gender, you'd probably have to wait a little more to confirm it.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.