Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:51 pm   Hello!

Hi there! You can call me Azure, and I'm a new RES mom. First time pet owner.
I've been interested in and following a lot of herpetology stuff over the past year and a half or so, and I recently found that the family I live with had been keeping a RES in very bad conditions. I'm in a side addition, so it was in a spot I didn't go to often. Tank was too small, no filter, shell rot, no basking platform or lights. I decided to talk to them about shifting the burden of care to me, and I jumped on it after they agreed. Turtle now has a 50 gal tank with about everything she needs, sans a basking lamp due to it being damaged in transit to me. (I have the bulbs and rigging when it arrives though. Currently frustrated.)
The turtle is still nameless, but very loved. I hope very much that I can give her the best life possible from here out.
I have a filter, water heater, thermometer, river pebble substrate, live hornwort, a few fake plants, and a basking platform. I've been feeding her a blend of Mazuri, Exoterra Adult, and ReptiMin Sticks every other day. It's only been four days, so with the advice here, I'm going to start giving her romaine and/or carrots daily. I've also got cuttlefish bone for calcium.
I have been treating the shell rot daily in the evening, gently scrubbing the shell with mild soap and a toothbrush, and then applying povidone-iodine (like betadine) to the areas of concern and letting her dry completely.

Thanks for all the help!!
ladyazure17

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:11 pm   Re: Hello!

Welcome to forum Azure! We're very glad that you rescued the turtle :) How old is she?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:48 pm   Re: Hello!

She’s 8-10 years old, but her shell is only 4.75” long (and about 6” from outstretched nose to tail).
Apparently she was one of those Chinatown novelty bag hatchlings too. She’s had a rough life up until now :(
ladyazure17

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:29 am   Re: Hello!

Are you certain the turtle is a she? We need some pics :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.