Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New to hobby

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:15 pm   New to hobby

I had a couple RES when I was a kid, and would like to get into it again. I'm 36, have ms, so have a lot of time on my hands (don't work) and would love to enjoy a pet that I don't handle as often and things like that.

I'm researching everything, and really like the spotted turtles, but understand they're on the ESL. Is it possible to get them safely and legally still? I'm in Florida if it matters. Also, what's entailed in becoming a breeder of them?

I have questions for enclosures etc, but will delegate to the appropriate forums. Just wanted to say hi :)

-cj
-cj
cieje

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:52 am   Re: New to hobby

Hi and welcome! I'm not too sure about Spotteds in Florida, but I do think it's possible to get them there. Breeding I guess is the same with other terrapins.... you need space and some equipment to incubate the eggs but selling them and hatchlings is also regulated.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:05 pm   Re: New to hobby

I figure it's all regulated. I want to see if I can get whatever permits etc. there's a good pet store near me, http://www.incrediblepets.com/, so I'll ask them. maybe I'll be lucky and they breed spotted turtles.
-cj
cieje

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:52 pm   Re: New to hobby

There is a major reptile expo in Daytona Beach, http://www.reptilebreedersexpo.com/ but it seems like their show was 2 weeks ago. There are others around, there is a lot of activity down there.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.