Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello all. Southern Maryland

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:55 pm   Hello all. Southern Maryland

Hello,
I live in Chas. Cty., MD in the headwaters of Zekiah Swamp, near Dr. Sam'l. Mudd's house.

I am a recent retiree who has kept red sliders for a few years in an aquarium. This spring I have moved them to my 200 g(? - I am imagining if 3-4 55gal barrels would fit) outdoor pond and they are doing rather well. The best part is they are in their element with plants and shibunkin goldfish. The depth is 3 feet. The critters are like 6" easily.

My wish is I would like them to be able to winter over in this south pond in planting zone 7A. It has yet to freeze in the slightest.
Is it simply a matter of providing a 6-12" base at the bottom? If so, of what should it consist.

Thank you in advance. Be assured I will be searching previously provided topics! :)

Chris
cjnovack

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:59 am   Re: Hello all. Southern Maryland

Welcome to the forum! Is the pond at ground level? Is there anything else kept in the pond year-round?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:33 pm   Re: Hello all. Southern Maryland

Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome!
MY pond is inground. I have kept Shebunkin in there for 3 generations now. The bottom is about 2'x12",with 4'x12" above of water. Think upside-down wedding cake! I do have 2 plants at that depth that have been there for a few years.
cjnovack

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:27 am   Re: Hello all. Southern Maryland

If the pond doesn't freeze, then it should be OK. However, most ponds that people use are far much larger. I would check with local turtle keepers, they will have a better idea of what's suitable in your climate.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.