Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: HELP NEW HERE:MAMA OF 2 RES

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 pm   HELP NEW HERE:MAMA OF 2 RES

Hello Everyone, I am the mother of two red ear sliders i have had them since i was in kindergarten but over the years they have been neglected. I've had them for 13 years now and i have been taken full responsibility for them (as of recently) ( my mom didnt care for them nor wanted to put the money in to take care of them) . Their names are Jack n Jill my problem is they are very big. Jack is about 10 inches and Jill is about 7 inches what type of tank size am i suppose to have them in? right now i have them each in their own tiny tank, i only have them in 1 gallon of water with a heating lamp. I take them outside so they can walk around, they bask for around 4-6 hours a day in the natural sunlight. Jack is battling shell rot and i have been washing him with mild hand soap with a clean tooth brush and i dry her up and apply iodine providone, let it sit while she basks and then at night i apply antibiotic cream on her shell. Jack is currently in her tank with no water Because she needs to remain dry so the antibiotic absorbs, i noticed one of her eye lid is swollen, she has some debris build up around and but i dont know how to remove it( its not red) . Jill, he has slight pyramiding its not very noticeable, i make sure to wash him up and apply iodine p. solution too. I am feeding them every other day, one day their turtle pellets and the next spinach and carrots, they dont seem to like or eat the veggies though. i am saving up to buy a tank and the rest of the necessary items they need. does any one recommend any specific store or online cite to purchase affordable turtle tanks, heaters etc.
-i wash( change out their water) everyday because i dont have a filter
- i want to make them happy but rn i dont have the money, im working on it though
JACKNJILL

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:43 pm   Re: HELP NEW HERE:MAMA OF 2 RES

Welcome to the forum! Are they both females? If not, then you really don't have a good chance of keeping them together as males can be pretty aggressive. A new 55 gallon tank on sale, could be for $55. For larger tanks, you might want to look at Craigslist for used tanks (75-100 gallon tanks for about $100). You don't need to keep them in glass tanks, stock tanks can work too but some people don't like the way they look. Quality filters can be expensive, but should last 10 years or so.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.