Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hi from canary islands

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:39 am   Re: Hi from canary islands

Just took him for a walk round the garden and sat in the sun having a good chat lol I managed to very slowly and carefully peel off a piece of shell that came loose. The shell underneath looks far far better. I'm gonna spend an hour at least every day outside in the sun with him from now on. He's just munching on a piece of red leaf lettuce at the moment back in his tank :D

Grabbed a quick pic while he was chilling in my hand. https://goo.gl/photos/tA1QZHNwPZvPB3VFA
Newbie here - be gentle!
Bowser YBS

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:19 pm   Re: Hi from canary islands

Still so tiny! The white areas on the shell look like fungus which might make it difficult for him to shed normally. The sun will help a lot though. When outside, be careful of the hot floors and remember that they easily blend into their surroundings (in addition to being good climbers and diggers) so always keep an eye on him.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:17 pm   Re: Hi from canary islands

This third picture look's like a totally different turtle !
Do the outside sun thing and get his tank setup as this forum suggest . Make sure you have his basking light's on , heat and UVB on for ten / twelve hours a day and keep us posted.

Read all the stickies under each topic and the answer to a lot of problems with turtles is maintenance , maintenance and yes maintenance !
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:41 pm   Re: Hi from canary islands

steve wrote:Still so tiny! The white areas on the shell look like fungus which might make it difficult for him to shed normally. The sun will help a lot though. When outside, be careful of the hot floors and remember that they easily blend into their surroundings (in addition to being good climbers and diggers) so always keep an eye on him.

I promise you it's not. It's just where his shell hasn't shed and airs for underneath it. I can see that now after having him bone dry in my hand. That piece I picked off looked like fresh dark shell underneath. No white there at all.
Newbie here - be gentle!
Bowser YBS

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:44 pm   Re: Hi from canary islands

litefoot wrote:This third picture look's like a totally different turtle !
Do the outside sun thing and get his tank setup as this forum suggest . Make sure you have his basking light's on , heat and UVB on for ten / twelve hours a day and keep us posted.

Read all the stickies under each topic and the answer to a lot of problems with turtles is maintenance , maintenance and yes maintenance !

Yeah? Would you still say he's over Fed though?

I only gave him 3 pellets today broken into bits. He had some red leaf lettuce too but he just shredded it about his tank and didn't actually eat any of it. How do I get him to eat that?
Newbie here - be gentle!
Bowser YBS

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:24 pm   Re: Hi from canary islands

From the first picture "Yes" got a good view and much sharper photo https://goo.gl/photos/CqRaFzfH3jmJTftH7

Last picture No but the angle taken from hides a lot. https://goo.gl/photos/tA1QZHNwPZvPB3VFA

That's why I questioned the time frame ! Looks like two totally different turtles...

If you follow the 2/3's head rule you can't go wrong at any size or age and that's a day not at each feeding ! The veggie side say red lettuce a piece the size of his shell is good a day.

It's safer and better to under feed ( slow even growth ) than over feed and have health problems !

Try not to pull any more of the shedding off unless it's super easy or falling off. Possible you can pull to much and expose bone material ! Turtles have shedded on there own without our help for a long time.

And yes he does have some fungus as Steve said // that will come off with the old scute's and good clean shell underneath . Vacuum or pick up old scutes so that fungus does not stay in tank. Turtles are known for eating them. Turtles shed not just to grow but also to get rid of shell problems. Correcting his lighting and this new shed will take care of that fungus. Maintenance also solves a lot of issues !

And Yes adjust his diet.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:00 am   Re: Hi from canary islands

Okay, apologies Steve.

Aye the bit that came off was super easy to take off and requered no force at all. I just took my time doing it just incase.

I'm just waiting in the sun to come round and hit my garden and I'll take some pics from a few angles.
Newbie here - be gentle!
Bowser YBS

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:05 am   Re: Hi from canary islands

What I do when one refuses veggies , I offer it to them first when they are the hungriest! Then I wait an hour before I offer any protein. I also let the veggies in tank until nightfall so they can pick on it if any was uneaten. Do this every day and soon will be eating it , works for me. The older they get the more they want veggies and by adult Should be on 70% veggies !

The head rule or 2/3's head rule been around for decades and work's too ! I have been using it for over 50 plus years !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:35 pm   Re: Hi from canary islands

Sound :) I'll do that then
Newbie here - be gentle!
Bowser YBS

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:51 am   Re: Hi from canary islands

The annoying thing about shell fungus is that will quickly spread. So even though it shed, it won't take long to cover that same area. The sooner you treat it (aggressively) the better.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:23 pm   Re: Hi from canary islands

What's that stuff called again? The one for the bath / shell wash

Do I get it at a chemist? Would charcoal or cinnamon work as they're both anti fungal?
Newbie here - be gentle!
Bowser YBS

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:27 pm   Re: Hi from canary islands

The best cream is silver sulfadiazine... you keep the turtle dry and apply a very thin layer. I would do it over night and in the morning, just wipe or rinse off any remaining residue and put him back into the tank. A week or so should do it. I would make sure to have the tank situation corrected so it doesn't come back because the cream might not work again.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.