Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: new to waterworld

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:36 am   new to waterworld

Yup, i just received 2 res, about 3-4 weeks ago. I've been pulling my hair out trying to get these guys comfortable (male and female). Their about the size of a large hand, and poop like cats.
When i got them they were in a short 20 gal. tank with very little room to roam. They are in a tall 20 gal. tank right now which seems to be lots better for swimming room. On the rare nice days we get around here lately i let them go in the kids pool for the day.

Tank has a Fluval 2 and an old power filter, waterfall type, large turtle dock, and a clamp lamp with a plant grow lite. I have been doing complete water changes at least twice a week and rinsing the filters out, and use bio-terra water conditioner/cleaner? stuff. The clear water lasts for about 4 hours then it's cloudy. Just lately i started using a gravel vac to clean the leftover food and stuff after supper. This seems to help a bit.

In the next week or so i'm planning on a larger tank, 60-100 gal. maybe. Any tips on the filter types? I would like to use something that could be used in an outside pond in the summer then brought inside for aquarium use in the winter. (but not necessary, pond can wait) I've been having thoughts in using a pool pump and filter.
mikey

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:23 pm   

Waterworld? Welcome to TurtleTalk. :)

Upgrade that tank as soon as you can, and go the biggest you can. For filters, if you were going to only use the filter inside, I'd recommend a Rena Filstar XP3 (whatever you get, make it a canister that's rated for 3X the size of your tank. (You said it yourself--they poop like cats.) Check some of the other posts for more info about them. Since you want to use it both inside and out, check into pond filters--a few members use PondMasters and have said they like them.

They do not benefit from the plant gro light, even though it's probably full spectrum. Get them a UVB light (especially for reptiles). They also need a heat lamp, basking area should be high 80's). If you can spend more money, you could get a combination UVB mercury vapor lamp (T-Rex Active UV Heat, Zoo-Med Powersun are two popular ones). When they're outside, they'll get the best light--unfiltered sunlight.

The cloudiness could be new tank syndrome, and should stop as beneficial bacteria colonize (Are you using bio-media in that powerfilter?). Doing partial water changes might help.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:09 pm   

Welcome to the board Mikey, glad to have you here. :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:31 am   

I'd rather not use a submersible filter, I want these guys to have all the room they can get. So definately i'm looking for a canister type outside the tank. Local Pet store has the Fluval 404 on sale till Friday. I believe that one is rated for 100 gal. So if i get a 100 gal tank, I'm going to need a 300 gal capacity filter ?

There's a reptile show this coming weekend, less than a block from my place. I'll be doing some shopping for sure.
Doubt if i'll be getting a vapour lamp. Too pricey for me.

Bio-media, nope. That powerfilter has charcoal in the bottom, cotton stuff in the middle and then lava rock on top.
mikey

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:55 pm   

I know of someone who used a Fluval 404 canister filter on a 108-gallon tank along with an Aqua-Clear 500 power filter and said the combination worked well. That said, I'd still get one rated for a larger tank...I know what you mean about the submersible filter--I've been toying with the idea of getting a Pondmaster for a while now, but am also hoping to find something that can be outside the tank (although I don't think the PondMaster takes up that much room--someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The lava rock would be the bio-media in your filter.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:19 pm   

mikey wrote: Local Pet store has the Fluval 404 on sale till Friday.

It's a good deal if you can get for less than $110.00 USD. Other wise check out www.Bigalsonline.com.

I've been pricing filters for a while. My Local pet store had the Fluval 404 "on sale" for $189.99. Big als has for about 95 plus shippng.

Also Check out Thread http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342

Good luck
-Chris
BigCT

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:25 pm   

marisa wrote:The lava rock would be the bio-media in your filter.

oop, right.

The 404 is on for 159$ Can. at Petsmart. Regular is around 19?$, i think.
mikey

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.