Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Newbie from Montreal

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:50 am   Newbie from Montreal

Hello. I am new to this site and I am looking forward to everyone’s feedback. We have been investigating owning a RES for a while now. My good friend will be giving us his 75 gallon aquarium with the filter, pumps, heater, lid and stand. He used this for fish, so I assume I will have to get a shatter proof heater suitable for turtles. I am new to having turtles (I have not gotten them yet), but we did own turtles when we were younger. Today we have a better understanding of how to care for turtles and I would like to equip ourselves properly the first time. I would like to create a safe proper environment for 2 turtles.

What would everyone suggest for a 75 gallon aquarium?
Lighting – do I need a special hood for the UVB light? I am unsure of what it is coming with my aquarium. Can I ourchase a light and fit it in the hood?
Basking lamp -what do people like the best? What brand is the most reliable and durable?
docking station – Zoo Med turtle dock or Floating turtle Pier? Or something altogether different?
filter for a 75 gallon tank - Fluval or Zoo Med? Which is preferred?
Shatterproof water heater for a 75 gallon tank. One heater or 2?

I live in Montreal, so access to Pet supplies is not an issue. I look forward to everyone’s suggestions! We are so excited and I hope that we can create a great environment for our new turtles. This site is such a great resource for information!
juniperjune

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:11 pm   Re: Newbie from Montreal

Welcome to the site!

I would reconsider getting 2 turtles unless you can afford to separate them if it becomes necessary.

75 gallon is great for most males and some females. We usually recommend 10 gallons of tank size per 1 inch of shell length.
If you use a compact fluorescent UVB lamp, you can use any standard light fixture. Tubes can work in the hood, though you need to remove any protective barrier since it will block all the UVB. There's an MVB which provides heat and UVB, but you'll need a fixture to support the weight and heat.
I like to use thick glass halogen lights, particularly PAR30L style. There's one made for turtles called Turtle Tuff which is similar. Your fixture needs to have a ceramic or porcelain base to withstand the heat and wattage.
Filters are a bit tricky, but there a lot of choices. How much water will be in the tank? What else will be in there?
You do not need a shatterproof heater, but Eheim Jager and Aqueon Pro and recommended. If you are concerned about safety, you can get a heater guard for it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:31 pm   Re: Newbie from Montreal

steve wrote:Welcome to the site!

I would reconsider getting 2 turtles unless you can afford to separate them if it becomes necessary.

75 gallon is great for most males and some females. We usually recommend 10 gallons of tank size per 1 inch of shell length.
If you use a compact fluorescent UVB lamp, you can use any standard light fixture. Tubes can work in the hood, though you need to remove any protective barrier since it will block all the UVB. There's an MVB which provides heat and UVB, but you'll need a fixture to support the weight and heat.
I like to use thick glass halogen lights, particularly PAR30L style. There's one made for turtles called Turtle Tuff which is similar. Your fixture needs to have a ceramic or porcelain base to withstand the heat and wattage.
Filters are a bit tricky, but there a lot of choices. How much water will be in the tank? What else will be in there?
You do not need a shatterproof heater, but Eheim Jager and Aqueon Pro and recommended. If you are concerned about safety, you can get a heater guard for it.

Thanks! We are not set on 2 turtles. If 1 is optimal then 1 it is. I just don't want the turtle to be bored or lonely.
I do not want too many items in the tank. I do not know if I want anything on the bottom. I will have a hiding spot for the turtle on the bottom, and a turtle basking dock. I am not decided yet on which one.
We are having the Salon des reptiles March 5 and 6 (Reptile expo) here in Montreal. We will check them out. There is no sale of animals at this expo, it is for educational purposes. I called one pet store here to inquire about their RES and she was quite snotty to me. I asked about the size and age, and I was given a snotty answer. She said they were 1 month old, the size of a quarter. I was told here in Canada it is not illegal to sell them at that age. She was not very friendly or forthcoming with information. Too bad as that store is big. I would like to get my information from people who know what they are doing and actually care. Not some 16 year old working part time because Mommy said they had to get a job.
juniperjune

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:25 pm   Re: Newbie from Montreal

If you're willing adopt, you can get one that is a little order and you will know the sex which is a big plus. A male will be smaller and you will never need to upgrade that 75 gallon. A 75 gallon will be fine with most female RES, but some can be pretty big plus there might be potential nesting issues (basically some females, even kept alone, will develop eggs and need to lay them).

I think there are some unclear but strict rules about turtle ownership in Canada. We even had a responsible member/turtle keeper had theirs confiscated and presumably destroyed.

Check these Canadian organizations:

Kitchener ON: Turtle Haven http://turtlehaven.ca/
Hamilton ON: Hamilton Reptiles http://www.hamiltonreptile.com/
Drummondville PQ: Gecko Live http://geckolive.yolasite.com/
http://littleresq.net/
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:26 pm   Re: Newbie from Montreal

steve wrote:If you're willing adopt, you can get one that is a little order and you will know the sex which is a big plus. A male will be smaller and you will never need to upgrade that 75 gallon. A 75 gallon will be fine with most female RES, but some can be pretty big plus there might be potential nesting issues (basically some females, even kept alone, will develop eggs and need to lay them).

I think there are some unclear but strict rules about turtle ownership in Canada. We even had a responsible member/turtle keeper had theirs confiscated and presumably destroyed.

Check these Canadian organizations:

Kitchener ON: Turtle Haven http://turtlehaven.ca/
Hamilton ON: Hamilton Reptiles http://www.hamiltonreptile.com/
Drummondville PQ: Gecko Live http://geckolive.yolasite.com/
http://littleresq.net/

Thanks for the links, but the Quebec website is no longe active. I was able to find them on Facebook, but they are for lizards. The local shop near me has some older turtles, about 4 or 5 years old. Most of the petstores here that have turtles are from people who can no longer take care of theirs.

I will call our local SPCA in Vaudreuil Quebec to inquire. On petfinder there are no turtles in my area.
juniperjune

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:33 am   Re: Newbie from Montreal

Hi June

These little people can live long, our oldest was adopted in 1987. I may get some opposition here but they need daily hugs and kisses. In 28 years our' "children" have only been without us for only a few nights. They have personalities and attitudes. They are extremely smart. They are a life long (and longer) commitment. We have found that females were more affectionate.
Children that fit in the palm of your hand.
skipolippers

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:33 am   Re: Newbie from Montreal

I second the opinion on the females. We have limited experience with pet turtles but years of experience feeding wild pond turtles and the females by far became more tame and loved to interact with us.. The males were shyer and more stand offish. If you are planning on only one I would suggest a female. Our girls got to the point they let us pick them up and also scrub their backs since they were crazy moss carriers..lol
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.