Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New here!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:46 am   New here!

Hey everyone!

My name's David, I'm a biology major at a university in West Virginia and I am preparing to be a first-time red-eared slider owner. I have never owned a reptile before (a true first-time owner) and am here to attempt to learn as much as possible so I can provide an excellent habitat for my turtles and keep them healthy and happy for a long time to come. I've been wanting to own a turtle for some time now but have only recently had the disposable income to seriously look into it.

Right now I'm planning on owning one turtle to start so I can learn the process of taking care of it before I would consider expanding. Long story short -- I would like to passively read up and ask questions on the wealth of knowledge you guys can provide before I even think about going and buying my turtle. I have not yet purchased any of the habitation or maintenance equipment so I am a totally clean slate but I have a general idea of what I need. My biggest dilemma is being overwhelmed by what the rest of the internet has to say about what kind of equipment I need to buy so I would like to first get actual owner advice on what equipment and products a first-time red-eared slider owner will need before buying the actual animal. I could also use some recommendation concerning where to buy/adopt a truly healthy turtle specimen.

Any help you can provide is and will be greatly appreciated!
David :D
daverave087

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:44 am   Re: New here!

Welcome David! Glad you're doing research first... I guess there are two main rules in turtle keeping. 1) it will have a high startup cost but if you do it right, it'll last you for years and 2) captive RES are very dominant, so there will be a good chance you need to separate them, especially if one is a male.

People love hatchlings and they generally are illegal but easy to get and get away with. If you get a slightly larger turtle (like from adoption or rescue), then you will know its gender and can appropriately plan for it's home (and avoid costly upgrades).
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.