Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello, I'm new!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:56 am   Hello, I'm new!

Hello! I'm new to the forum, but have been frequenting Facebook groups about turtles. I've also been a member of a salamander oriented forum for awhile now.

As you can assume I ADORE herps! I have 3 red eared sliders, 1 ouachita map and 1 blotched tiger salamander. I got my turtles in March of 2015, so I'm still a newbie, but thanks to interacting with turtle enthusiasts and vets on Facebook I have learned a lot and hope to learn more here. :o

My turtles are still too small to know for certain the genders, but by tail alone it would seem I have 3 girls and 1 boy. Their names are as follows:

Sherbet the RES - The biggest and most social turtle. She loves her food very much and is a bully to the other turtles and steals food right from their mouths, so she eats alone. She's very social towards humans and does not mind being handled. She has a very nice shell! This is technically my nieces turtle. :msgreen:

Mikey the RES - Mikey has a very leveled personality. He is not overly shy and not overly hyper. He likes to be fed and will swim towards people, but fights when being handled sometimes. He gets along with everyone except Sherbet; as he also has a dominant personality like her. He is the second biggest, and was starting to pyramid due to too much protein. We have started making sure he eats his veggies though, and the condition has not gotten any worse since then. This is my sisters turtle. :mrgreen:

Ponyo the RES - Ponyo is my smallest RES and the shyest turt in the group. She's very timid and will hide in her shell if handled by strangers. She peeks her head out with me, but does not do much else. She LOVES live food more than any of the others. Worms are her favorite treat. She will stop being shy and snatch a worm right up if one is put in their feeding tank. She has a red dot on top of her head and I think she is [i]so pretty[/i]! She is my turtle. She also has a good shell, but not as nice as Sherbets. :msgreen:

Riff Raph the Map - A play on "Riff Raff" and "Raphael", this is our map turtle. She also belongs to my sister. She is our smallest turtle, but is slowly catching up. She HATES being handled (loathes it) but is quite sociable in water. She is a special turtle. Before we bought her, some accident must have happened where her tail was bitten off. Her tail is a stub now, but as she grows, it grows. It's a cute stubby thing (lol). Since she is a map, her pattern and shell are quite different from her adopted RES siblings. I love her skin pattern and the "spikes" on her shell. :msgreen:
Attachments
11045408_370050383190082_3699221397120042542_n.jpg
We have ramps like this for basking. No fancy add ons just yet. One day though.
11234814_380741768787610_2378778891713054087_n.jpg
Cute basking pic when I first got them and they lived together.
11148364_389196711275449_3131532114932187659_n.jpg
Riff Raph
11084287_370050629856724_7695410396476985783_n (1).jpg
Ponyo
Last edited by Teeglor on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
RES: Ponyo, Mikey, Sherbet
Map: Riff Raph
Salamander: Hiccup
My turtles FB page! https://www.facebook.com/PonyoTheTurtle (don't know how to make a fancy link)
Teeglor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:35 pm   Re: Hello, I'm new!

What a bale! Welcome to the forum! You might want to feed the RES a bit less (thick seams around the scutes indicate overfeeding). You will notice most RES are very outgoing but with any turtle, be careful when "playing" with them in the water because their instincts are to bite and eat :roll:
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 pm   Re: Hello, I'm new!

Thank you! Yes, we have trouble ignoring their "begging", but we're getting better and ever since the incident with Mikey's pyramiding we have tried keeping them on very strict diets. With these changes I am hoping they will grow nicely from here on in. :oops:
My turtles FB page! https://www.facebook.com/PonyoTheTurtle (don't know how to make a fancy link)
Teeglor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:01 pm   Re: Hello, I'm new!

If you have family or roommates that might sneak food, try to stick to healthier stuff and sort out pellets in a clean pill box, so everyone knows they shouldn't exceed that amount.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:15 pm   Re: Hello, I'm new!

The pill box is actually a really good idea, thank you. I'll do that!
Teeglor

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.