Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello Everyone!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:08 pm   Hello Everyone!

Hello Everyone! I have two YBS, Elton and Bernie. I got them at a novelty store in Daytona Beach, Florida last year (August 2014). Each were an inch long when I got them. They came home in the traditional critter keeper with some rocks and 2 plastic palm trees. I started reading up on their care and knew I needed to upgrade their habitat immediately.
08062014 (3)a.jpg
08062014 (3)a.jpg (42.1 KiB) Viewed 5207 times

I thought I was really doing something when I upgraded them to a 10 gallon tank, with a Tetra Whisper Filter, a heater, UVB/UVA lights, digital thermometer, a floating turtle dock, and acrylic basking platform:
08102014 (5)a.jpg
08102014 (5)a.jpg (112.87 KiB) Viewed 5207 times

Elton is now 4 1/2" and Bernie is 3". I found this forum (when I was searching for ideas for a new basking platform on Pinterest, and I stumbled upon a really cool DIY pvc/eggcrate platform - I ended up getting the Penn Plax Turtle Topper). Then I began reading... and reading... and reading.

As of this weekend, I've upgraded to a new 40 gallon tank (I know I need much larger tank, but this is all I have room for right now), and I bought eggcrate (for the top and any other ramp mods I might do). I have to add to my set up little by little. Next up is the Fluval 406 canister filter (and the associated media) and the Python Aquarium Maintenance System. I'm trying to decide if I should do the pool filter sand or the vibrant purple Crayola play sand. My fiancé is going to make my aquarium stand for me.

After reading all the different threads and posts on filteration (thanks VeipaCray), I'm still thoroughly confused. My basic question is, what media should I use inside the trays, for the Fluval 406? 3 trays of bio media and 1 tray of Purigen?

This is a great forum. I'm still reading. :msgreen:
Lrigyttiw

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:45 am   Re: Hello Everyone!

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you're on the right path. They might might have grown a little too fast, so you might want to just re-evaluate their diet. You can probably skip the Python, you can find the basic parts to make your own. It really depends on how you want to change and fill water. I'd go with pool filter sand as well. The natural color looks great in a tank. I'd imagine poop would be easier to spot as well.

For your last question, you can do 3 trays of bio media and put both Purigen and carbon in the last tray. Between the two, carbon has more benefits but cannot be regenerated.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:19 pm   Re: Hello Everyone!

Thanks for answering my question Steve. How many boxes of the Bio (media) Rings does each tray hold?
Lrigyttiw

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:34 pm   Re: Hello Everyone!

I don't have a 406, so I don't know. I'd guess that one basket holds about 1 liter of media.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:01 am   Re: Hello Everyone!

I like your post! Love the picture with the legs straight up in the air. Too cute! I also don't know how much media it will hold. Sorry.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.