Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New User, new turtles

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:07 am   New User, new turtles

Hey guys. I'm a new turtle owner. I have two (2) RES hatchlings with me and i named them Daniel and Stryker. Stryker is more of moss green in color and daniel is green apple in color. I have all the nessecities from the tank down to the UV bulbs and water conditioner.

Both of them were very active when i first bought them but after a week Daniel is just tucked in his shell, eyes closed and does not eat. Initially i just thought he's hibernating but since Stryker is still swimming around the tank, I'm fairly worried about Daniel's sudden change in behaviour.

What would be the best thing to do in this situation? Should I quarantine Daniel for possibly being sick and might pass it on to Stryker? And there's also the possibility wherein Stryker might further stress Daniel out. Should i observe him for a few more days?
Turtel1

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:42 am   Re: New User, new turtles

I would honestly take him to the vet. Do you have a water heater? Can you post pics of him?

1 Female RES named Raphael
75 gallon tank :D
butterflygirl921

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:21 pm   Re: New User, new turtles

How long have you had him? If he can't see, he likely won't eat. Separation is necessary. What are the temperatures?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:34 pm   Re: New User, new turtles

I've only had them for around 2 weeks. It looks like he has puffy eyes. So what i did is that i changed their diet to a more healthy one. The first 2 days i was only feeding them pellets, then i started feeding them more greens. I live in the philippines so the water is just around 24' C. - 25' C. But i notice that the water temperature drops at around 23' C during the night. I'm still saving for a heater though. I spent most of my savings for their aquarium and that being said, it might take a while before i can take Daniel to a vet. Still need to save for that.

Right now i just try and feed them carrots, squash and very little turtle sticks. And i also take them out so that they can get more natural UV from the sun instead of the artificial bulb in their tank.
Turtel1

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:53 pm   Re: New User, new turtles

Here's a photo of the poor thing :(
Attachments
daniel.jpg
11/01/15
Turtel1

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:39 pm   Re: New User, new turtles

I just did the same thing with my savings getting a bigger tank but once you can I would get a water heater maybe Steve has some more suggestions (I'm still new to this)

butterflygirl921

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:35 pm   Re: New User, new turtles

What kind of UVB are you using? I'd stop using it for a few days. Does he perk up outside/in sunlight?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:13 pm   Re: New User, new turtles

how is the little guy doing?

butterflygirl921

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.