Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: RES egg-laying queries !!!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:18 pm   RES egg-laying queries !!!

X-ray.jpg
X-ray

My RES is carrying eggs which was confirmed via an x-ray taken Oct 20, 2014, initially it did show the tendency of digging holes but stopped showing it now.I have followed procedure for nesting RES in a box with soil without any substrate, but RES doesn't stay in and tries to jump out of the box which is a point of concern.
I have organic compost ready and the soil is damp/wet in the box for reference am sending these pics of the nesting box.

1.jpg
Nesting box

Does RES wait for all the eggs to be grown into full size before laying eggs? or When does the RES start laying eggs?
Will RES lay eggs in the water?
I am very much worried about RES health, let me know what else to do a.s.a.p.

Also attached the X-ray image here!
r_rahul

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:16 am   Re: RES egg-laying queries !!!

From what I've experienced, the turtle will now retain them. Hopefully, they will be expelled into the water. What I'm not sure about is if weather plays a role in triggering any nesting behavior. Did the vet offer any suggestions, like a shot of oxytocin?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:00 am   Re: RES egg-laying queries !!!

Now my RES stays very quite inside the nesting box, which indeed is a good sign of relief.
The vets in India are not qualified to treat a turtle/reptile, more they asked me about its habit and breeding.
r_rahul

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:50 pm   Re: RES egg-laying queries !!!

I built a nesting box for mine as well and all she does is try to get out and flips over.. I finally just gave up and just hopes she ends up expelling them in the water. I let her walk around the house from time to time hoping she might find a spot, but the only spot she finds to do anything is to poop. :lol:
Into_the_Mystic

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.