Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:41 pm   Hello!

Yes, a newbie! Please be gentle because I want to do things right.
Last spring my daughter purchased a turtle while on an outing with my husband.
Shelldon is an absolute joy to the household and seems quite attached to my daughter especially. The turtle needs seem to be changing.
We tried for over a week to get the turtle interested in turtle pellets before giving up and switching to brine shrimp, something which the turtle actually begs for.
Must be nummy. Recently the tank gets icky faster and the turtle seems off it's feed. Help in obtaining information regarding the care of a red ear slider seems to differ from person to person and this site seemed like a good place to try.
We did try our local pet store but the woman was less than helpful and actually cruel and nasty. She said we would end up abandoning or killing it. told us not to bother with a filter and then pointed us in the direction of a lot of expensive stuff and left us to fend for ourselves.
I need good information on food and supplements, am also interested in options for edible bio-filter plants. I live in South Carolina so some of them are illegal, I need to find out what my legal options are. Optimally I would like to put live feeder plants into the tank. I have a second tank that I can use for growing so turtle eating the plants; completely my goal.
I want a happy healthy turtle.
Dahli74

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:21 am   Re: Hello!

Welcome to the forum! How big is the turtle and how big is his tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:16 am   Re: Hello!

Turtle is still a few inches long and the tank is just a small starter tank. Perhaps 5 gallons or so. I plan on making the space bigger once we have a better idea of what we can do.
Dahli74

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:49 pm   Re: Hello!

Few inches? Big enough to find out the gender?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:37 pm   Re: Hello!

I don't think so, maybe 4 inches long.
Dahli74

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:40 pm   Re: Hello!

steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.