Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello, Total Newbie Here! I have a couple quick questions.

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:15 pm   Hello, Total Newbie Here! I have a couple quick questions.

Hi all! I recently rescued a RES from a friend who was keeping him in a small, unfiltered, unlit kritter-keeper (I'm pretty sure she bought him/her to spite her roommate). (S)he's around 4 inches and is in a 10 gallon right now (still WAY too small I know) with a filter, heater, UVB light etc. Unfortunately I have have been out of work for several months due to illness, but am putting aside money for a proper setup (I looked at a 55 gal yesterday, but it was cracked those liars). I have a couple quick questions:

First: How do I tell the sex of the turtle? The tail looks like a male but the claws look female. Do the claws take a while to grow if Bubbles is male? I'll post a picture when I can.

Second: (S)he was without any lighting (UVB, heat, any of them) for however long my friend had him/her (a year?) and I was wondering what supplements, if any, I should use. I've purchased a UVB bulb, but no heat as my room has no AC and it can get up in the 80's (great for Bubbles, not for me). Once I have funds I'll get a heat bulb.

Thanks everyone!
1 RES - Bubbles
3 Bettas - Cas (RIP), Kiro (RIP), & Clopin (RIP) :(
2 Dogs - Ozzy (RIP) & Patch
4 minnows - Thing 1, Thing 2, Thing 3 and Thing Pi
eventHorizon

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:44 am   Re: Hello, Total Newbie Here! I have a couple quick question

At 4" you should be able to see male characteristics. Sounds like male at this point. I probably wouldn't bother with a used tank under 55 gallons unless it were free or very cheap. New 55 gallon tanks can go for as low as $55.

You can use any incandescent for heat. And just go ahead with a good pellet like Omega One and see if he would like any cuttlebone (with the backing removed).

Welcome to the site!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:16 am   Re: Hello, Total Newbie Here! I have a couple quick question

Welcome to the site! Good luck with the turtle!
As Steve mentioned a good old fashion 60-75w incandescent light bulb in a clamp light will do fine for heat. Both are cheap and are readily available at your local hardware store.
Make sure the tank is you is a aquarium that was used for fish. A lot of people on CL try to pass off the ones made for reptiles as aquariums but the glass is much thinner and it was not made to hold water.
devilduck

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.