Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New foster mom to a baby RES

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:52 pm   New foster mom to a baby RES

My boss' son was given a baby RES (about 2" long) as a gift about a month ago, but they are now at their vacation home for the season and I have taken over care of "Rocky." They were doing the bare minimum for him, so I tricked out his aquarium, added a heater and thermometer, some nice rocks to scramble over, etc. They were feeding him only pellets, so I've started varying his diet by adding worms (meal and earth), and dandelion greens. I'm just not sure if I'm feeding him enough/too much/too often. For example, today he ate 3 pellets, 2 stix, and 2 tiny earthworms in about 10 minutes. Yesterday was about the same. He has several fresh dandelion leaves in there, but hard to tell if he's eaten any. Because he's living at my office, he doesn't get fed at all on Saturday and Sunday. Is this regimen sufficient? Also, I don't see him bask, but from what I've read, given all the changes to his environment, that's not too surprising. Any guidance re: his diet would be appreciated! I'm hoping we get to keep him here at the office, so I want to do my best for him!
sheipat

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:57 pm   Re: New foster mom to a baby RES

That amount sounds OK. You can probably up the pellets and use fewer worms. Checking the shell and seams will be an easy way to look at growth rates. Put the leaves on a veggie clip and you'll notice if he eats. Leaving him over the weekend is fine as long as there are some veggies in there for him to nibble on.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.