Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New member w/ a 15 yr old slider and questions

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:34 pm   New member w/ a 15 yr old slider and questions

FormatFactoryIMG_20140704_151355.jpg
FormatFactoryIMG_20140704_151221.jpg
FormatFactoryIMG_20140704_151059.jpg
Hi im new to this forum, I recently moved my slider to a new area of the house and a new tank. iv had him for about 15 years now, but iv just started looking in depth on how to care for him.

it seems like iv been doing everything right with the exception that iv never had a uvb bulb. should I get one?

he's always seemed healthy and has never been to any sort of vet (I guess I must be doing something right)

I managed to snap a few pictures of him while he was basking so take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions

Thanks
bradv

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:36 pm   Re: New member w/ a 15 yr old slider and questions

Welcome to the forum! The turtle looks good, are you sure you have a male? I would increase water levels, but you might want a screen or frame around the top. A UVB is important, so I would get one as well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:35 pm   Re: New member w/ a 15 yr old slider and questions

no im not sure on the gender... i thought the males had long nails. i'm considering getting a top so i can raise the water. this one likes to escape.....

I was wondering what foods are good to feed him. iv usually just fed him "turtle food"
bradv

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:18 pm   Re: New member w/ a 15 yr old slider and questions

Males do have longer nails. Most males at that age would have melanism as well. Most RES like to escape or explore... definitely have a barrier or top in place before raising the water levels.

Feeding normally consists of veggie greens every day and a small amount of pellets. You can/should mix it up but it depends on how you want to set it up.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:41 am   Re: New member w/ a 15 yr old slider and questions

Yah mine sure likes to move. made it all the way down the stairs into the kitchen one day. amazed he/she didn't get hurt because it must have just fallen down them. im going to start feeding him some greens. and probably try and find a mesh top.

do you recommend dried meal worms/crickets aswell?
bradv

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:53 am   Re: New member w/ a 15 yr old slider and questions

You can use them as treats, but you don't need them. I think using/rotating with a few good pellets is the best idea. There's also canned mini crickets that are cooked and a bit softer for them to eat.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:07 pm   Re: New member w/ a 15 yr old slider and questions

alright. thank you so much for your advice
bradv

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:46 am   Re: New member w/ a 15 yr old slider and questions

You can make a simple top with wire shelving and some paint like this.

1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.