Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hie i am new here. Need help with 2 pregnant sliders i found

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:12 pm   Hie i am new here. Need help with 2 pregnant sliders i found

Hie my my name is Chris, I live in Mesa Az. I work in landscaping and found 2 pregnant female sliders. One is atleast 8 or 9 inches long and the other one is about 5 to six. They were trying to lay they're eggs on land that is being destroyed. I took them home and have the bigger 1 in a 40 gallon bucket and the smaller in a 25. I have been feeding them goldfish. But mainly pellets, the bigger is eating healthy but the smaller hasn't eaten. I have set up to 40 gallon containers with soil for nesting but so far nothing its been 4 days. The smaller was attacked by some ants here in my yard but I got to her quickly, stuck her in the water and removed the dead ants. I have no doubt this is partly why she is so grummy. Any advice would help here...especially about the eggs.
TurtleyEnough

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:57 am   Re: Hie i am new here. Need help with 2 pregnant sliders i f

Welcome to the forum Chris. Since they were looking for nesting spots, they were probably from a local pond. I would help them find another spot to nest, then release them. I would probably then destroy the eggs.

As for nesting, let them roam around and find a spot. A nesting box/container usually doesn't work.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:22 pm   Re: Hie i am new here. Need help with 2 pregnant sliders i f

Ok thanks Steve
TurtleyEnough

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.